Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Carb guy's & old VW wrenches... questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb guy's & old VW wrenches... questions

most of you may know me as NEWBEATLE... a Beatles twist to the new Beetle that I used to drive... anyway, I get catalogs that have upgrades for the old beetles... Weber & others offer carbs for these old classics, that start at the same bore as, & some are a few mm bigger bore than what comes stock on our Kawi's... they even have a 2 into 1 kit that includes a Weber 2 barrel carb that fuctions like 1/2 of a 4 barrel carb...

is it feasible to stick one ( or 2 ) on the Kawi ( they are cheap by comparison sake ), any advantages to the 2 barrel ??? from my old Jeeping days, I realize that there could be problems with function in extremely rough or steep conditions, ( at least there was with the Holleys on Jeeps ), but the Webers seem to function fine on the dune buggys ??? a 2 into 1 intake manifold would IMO, be easy to fabricate... has anyone ( I know ALLTOY's has talked about this in the past ) thought about this... it may have merit on those of us with BBK ???

Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

What fits the 650/700 should also fit the 360??? I still think with the right carb w/accelerator pump the 360 would wake up

What the heck is BBK ????

Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry... lazy typist...LOL...Big Bore Kits...

Old 09-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Tunnel ram the Prairie [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I can see were more area in the intake would help. Like the old high rise intakes. If I can get in touch with him I know a guy from the track that has raced nothing but beatles for the last 30+ years. He can answer any possible question with regaurds to this subject. Im sure Ive got his number in the shop somewhere. He's even given my vette a run for its money more than once. (pretty impressive from half the engine) While were on this subject have you looked at the wave runners on the market now with turbos and superchargers? Sea doo has one thats 225 HP turbo charged. Most of that power is wasted through the jet impeller but could you imagine straping that to gears and wheels? Wouldnt mind finding one of them wrecked. Might have to get out the welder.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Or even checking to see if theres any way to fabricate it (the turbo that is) to work on the prairie. I know its been done already but this approach may be easier.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

RIVER... I'm already tunnelramed... but with a BBK, it's sounding like the carb throats could a the next bottleneck...

Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Due to the uneven firing, you will get the good old volkswagon like "double sucking" effect if you join the manifolds. Kawi knew what they were doing when they did that. Basically, each cylinder gets a different intake charge and mixture due to the uneven intake pulse timing of the V-twin.

Beetles used to do it. Single ports were worse than dual ports.

Ever notice why the fuel injected models didn't double suck like that? They had the same firing order as the carb versions, but they had long intake runners and because of that they couldn't double suck (eneven intake or whatever you want to call it).

Also, ever notice ow much smoother the 4 barrel motors ran? They didn't double suck with separate intakes.

Sure it would work, but I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't sound as smooth.

Old 09-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, actually I was joking, I was'nt talking about function, I was talking about the old 2' high dual quad setups you used to see sticking out of hoods that would be almost as big as the quad itself.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Newbeatle,

I had a side delivery carbon slide racing carb on my quad till I changed over to EFI. It was designed for a Harley they have one carb!!

Old 09-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Gary... here I've been trying to bait you out of retirement, for a few posts now... good to hear from you... I realistically won't be doing any serious carb work, over the winter, ( maybe a bigger pilot jet??? ), too many other interesting projects, as this will be the 1st winter that I'll be wrenching on my quad indoors ( it stinks when you drop a bolt in the snow, laying out in the driveway...LOL...but was looking at the VW catalog, & noyiced the Webers were just slightly larger bore than the stockers... & remembered that you had tried to bore the stock throats, commenting that you burned through one, because they were so thin... now that there are more & more BBK out there, ( mine included ), bigger carbs might be more in order ??? maybe the easiest way, would be to use the Brutes carbs, but the cost was the most attractive thing I noticed on the VW carbs...

Old 09-17-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Newbeatle,

The line was thrown, the bait was to tempting. I always wondered why a fish went for a feather covered hook now I understand. YOU known WHAT IT IS BUT YOU JUST CAN'T HELP YOURSELF, LOL!!!!

It was extremely hard to find a carb that would match up with the Kawi and work half decent. I found you have to match the amount of draw your motor has to the carb then add a little. You can under tax your bigger carb as it will not have the proper vacuum to make the needle work properly. All you can do is try the VW carb you never know it may work. I went with a 2 stage carb initially so I could run 2 separate injections of NOs this was my intention plus it allowed for fine tuning. Say if you are going to the 12 Hour of America Race I will be there, I will bring my green machine plus a couple of goodies!!

Quick Reply: Carb guy's & old VW wrenches... questions