Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Force (need CVT help)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Force (need CVT help)

Got 400 miles on my BF checked my belt defolection, and it was 1.2 inches, decided to adjust deflection. Could not get the get the primary clutch bolt loose and was unable to slip belt off per Nyroc instructions. Got the recall in the mail and decided to have the dealer do the belt at the same time. Told him about the tight bolt, said he would break it loose for me no charge so I said ok. went to pick it up we rolled it on the truck since the cvt cover was off could not run it. Got home to unload it and found the key in the on position. Now the belt light is flashing and it is in limp mode. I know that this happens if the key is turned on when the cover is off. Does anyone know how to reset it, my dealer was closed by the time I dicovered this and he does not open till tuesday. I checked the belt switch and tried the 100 hr reset procedure no luck.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

I'm in the middle of doing this same thing....my belt deflection is about 1.4 inches after 400 miles; no wonder the engine braking gizmo was going crazy. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Have any of you other brute owners gotten a loose belt so soon? Anyway, it requires some special tools to properly remove the drive and driven pullies so that the shims can be changed and thus alter the belt tension. I don't want to risk screwing anything up, so I'm thinking about investing in the tools. I can't see how there would be any simpler method of doing this. If any of you have the answers to properly doing this any other way, let me know.

Old 09-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Scottd: Nyroc has all the info you need on his website. It is real easy if you follow his instruction though I could not get my belt off like that I had to remove the primary you need a puller for that. You can get one through Dalton, they are real easy to use also. Just don't turn the key on when the cover is off, that is the problem I have. As for the deflection being off aready, I think this may be just the belt wearing in and once the deflection is set right now it should last a lomg time from what I have read. Do a search for (nyroc) his website will show up.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Range Rover

http://atv.dnsalias.com/tipview.cgi/

Nyrocs website

Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Thank you wingshooter! I appreciate the tip.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

Scottd,
No problem, I got my belt light reset thanks to Nyroc's website, and got my deflection set. Had to take out the 2 .040" shims and relace them with a .055" shim and now my deflection is .900".

Nyroc, Thanks for putting the time into such an informative website. Your time is much appreciated.

with the deflection set right this thing realy wheelies now.