Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute force CDI Dynatec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute force CDI Dynatec?

I know the Brute force has not been out long but would it be possible to get a general concensus on the best CDI? I recently had my bike serviced due to the recall and know it has that low speed miss which I plan on correcting. I purchased a Dynatec CDI and after break in and my first service I installed it and I am really disappointed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I like the reverse limiter being removed but other than that no big deal. My Brute does about 65 on pavement which I've been told is slow for this quad. After I installed box still only 65. I think maybe Dynatec needs to spend some time developing a better box to release the potential of this motor. It is the same box as used on the 2003 Prarie 650 and up. I'm thinking I should have purchased the Highlifter module instead , At least they show a 6 h.p. improvement. Any factual input would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2004, 08:23 AM
Range Rover

I'm not sure whats happing on the Dyna cdi. We installed the Dyna from my P700 on a Brute Force 750 and it made a world of difference. I wonder if they have serial numbers or lot numbers where they can be traced to different production styles? I would hate to have to go without my Dyna CDI. It has been a Big improvement on my P700.

Old 09-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Pro Rider

I ordered one yesterday, I'll let y'all know how mine does after I get it. Nighthunter, are you running oversized tires?

Old 09-28-2004, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Mine didn't seem to pull on top, cut out until I got my jetting right. Then it works great. Had to jet leaner.

Old 09-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I am running stock tire size currently. I would like to get a set of 27" 589s for this winter and a set of the ATRs for next spring but quad fund is a little low. I am sure there is some jetting issues because my Brute popped when I let off the throttle on the high end. I guess I was just expecting a little more out of that $247 box. I would like to try the highlifter box and see if there is a difference, I think theres is alot cheaper. I may buy one and if it works good sell my dynatec on e-bay or to someone interested. I am running the stock one for right now because I am going to HAtfield and Mckoy for a week and I do not want to run rich or lean for a week.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like "Nighthunter" doesnt know what jetting carbs can do for performance.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not a full time mechanic but I do drag race on the weekends and have quite a bit of experience with setting up carbs and fuel injection. I just have been reading all the buzz about what great things these boxes are doing and yes you are correct there needs to be some jetting changes but I can gurantee that alot of the guys putting these on are not doing any jetting and it sounds like there gaining alot. To mee it seemed like my quad would do 65 at a little over half throttle and also at full throttle and there was some type of limiter. From what I have been reading lately there is a lot of changes being made to the springs and weights to gain low end or top speed. SO if what I'm reading is correct I will need to jet my quad and make some spring changes to fully utilize the increased rev limiter of the dynatec CDI. I still think there should be a differant box for the 750 Brute then the 650 Prairie . I only had the box in for a while I am having a few issues with my dealer and I want the bike straightened out before I do any mods. They did the recall , heat shield fell off, and the choke was sticking on the front carb but they still have not addressed the low speed miss. DO i just say screw the dealer and put the needle in and jet the carbs? With this new intake system there may be more problems arise and I do not want them to try to blame it on me working on the carbs. Don't get me wrong there is alot I do not know about these bikes and I think this is one of the funnest quads I have ever rode. It's great to see the look on peoples eyes when this big brute rides a wheelie as far as any quad.

Travelor- Did you gain any top speed when you re jetted your Quad? I know these are not race bikes but In the winter I ride back roads and would like to get as much top speed as possible.

Cuda440- When you installed your CDI on that Brute did you do any jetting? What was the most noticable increase?

Old 09-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is becoming quite typical in these forums.

they still have not addressed the low speed miss
You want to install an aftermarket CDI to an engine that isnt running well to begin with????????????????

Old 09-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nighthunter,

As a few above had noted these setups do sometimes require some fine tuning on the jetting. Add to this the BF has a known jetting issue (needles) from the factory this could all be adding together to limit your top end. These types of issues have been noted in the past and every time they have been cured by jetting. Usually a needle shim or pilot jet and sometimes mains are needed too. Travelor noted that once he got his jetting right he picked up some top end. You are correct that not everyone has needed to rejet but some have. Unfortunately, not all quads were created equal and some do need some fine tuning.

Scott

Old 09-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have a miss at low engine speed, just kinda coughs once in a while. Unfortunatly I bought it from a dealer that I don't think knows shoot from apple butter and I don't want to take it there. I just figure they will look at me and scratch their heads when I tell them it needs re-jetted to stop the low rpm miss. They didn't know squat about this bike when I bought it, I had to learn everything through the forums. Is re-jetting it a big deal? I know how a carb works and I know what jets are, but I don't like going through a lot to get the carbs off. I had to disassemble my entire front end, plastic fenders and all, on my Polaris to get the carb off, is the Brute like that?

Quick Reply: Brute force CDI Dynatec?