Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

electrical switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical switch

I have just purchased a set of reverse lights and it came with a rocker switch that is supose to mount flush somewhere.

Im looking for a switch that will mount to the handlebars similar to a winch switch.

Has anyone found a product like this?

Thanks

Old 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Give Warn a call and buy one of those Winch switch assemblies, and then wire it so both the in and out contacts light the rear lights....

Old 10-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

have you priced those winch switches? they're like $40 from Warn. Just wire the thing up so it comes on when you put it in reverse and you don't need a switch.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, thats a high price........plus those switches are only momentary. It would be ideal to have it tied in with reverse. i dont have the wiring diagram to know where i could tie it in. I thought it would be easier to find some sort of utility switch

Anyone know where i can get the wiring diagram or Switch

Old 10-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

when I put one on my first ATV I had it on a small push-button switch that I mounted in the plastic on the handlebar cover. I drilled a hole and put in a flush mount click-on, click-off switch. It looked factory. These switches can be very small, you could even drill a small hole in the plastic side cover if there isnt room by the handlebars. if you cant find a wiring diagram, look for the wires running to the reverse indicator light, I ran a 55watt backup light off that wire once also.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Wiring it to Reverse is a good idea, as long as you don't overload the wire or circuit it's on. If you have a couple of lights, they might draw a bit more power than the reverse light cicuit can provide...However if it's powered from reverse then that's the only time it's on. A rider might want to switch on the light in nuetral or forward.....who knows, maybe he just wants to blind the guy behind him.....

One consideration I would have though is the contact current rating of the switch. SOme of those very small switches like maybe in Grainger's or Radio Shack or McMasters , have lower ratings, being for electronic switchs, so I would think maybe a switch in the 5.0 amp or more rating, might be adequate.

Also you night want to consider a "snap action" switch. we used to build race bikes, and we have seen some switchs vibrate to the point where they would not maintain contact reliably. Those were the low current rating crap we bought at Radio Shack. These were for the ignition ckt, so when your on the track the ignition would cut out,........sucked!

I bet you could find something suitable at the local car parts place...