Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Snow Plows

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Plows

hey guys.....

my uncle had an old kawi 400 liquid cool probably from the mid to late 90's. He had a plow for it and only used it a few times then decided to buy a bobcat because the terrain was to rugged for the plow. (stone not paved)

Do you think I could put his plow on my p700. I have a winch so that will be easier then a handle.

Im just courious if im going to need any special brackets to hook it up.

I think the brackets he used are still on the machine.

Since I have never done this before, what is involved in hooking up the plow.
What kind of brackets are normally used.

Is it easy to take them on and off?

Thanks for your help

Old 10-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!
Default Snow Plows

You need to find out what brand the plow is and get a specific bracket for the plow and your machine.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snow Plows

Look under the ATV frame and see if there is flat steel skid plate, quite thick and strong there. Irf there is it will have attachment points for the plow push frame on it. Attaching the plow to the mount is very quick and easy, takes about five minutes or so, but you hafta get down and lie partway under the ATV it to do it, so sorry.

In case you do need to get a mounting plate, read further.

ATV plows, in general have three main parts: the blade, the push frame and the mount. The mount is a flat plate of about the same shape and size of the stock engine skid plate of your machine. It has at least four and often six points of attachment to the ATV main frame. This mount plate is about 3/16th-inch thick steel, drilled to accept the bolts that go into the same holes that fit the stock skid plate, plus up to 4 U-bolts that encircle the frame cross-tubes. There are two attachment points on the plow push frame that engage with two lugs or studs, welded to the plow mounting plate. If you decide to make a plate yourself, (which is not that hard to do) you need only use the stock skid plate as a template to cut and drill a flat piece of 3/16th inch thick steel, and then weld the studs or lugs tothe bottom side of this plate, in position so that the push frame is attached where it will be far enough forward to allow for lifting, lowering and angling the bade. Normally, that would be just below the point where you toes rest on the ATV foot plate in the riding position, but you will need to make measurements of your atv and the plow push frame to get both the width and the longitudinal position of those lugs in the right place. A factory-made mounting kit made for your ATV will cost you about 60 dollars, but may not be the right width to accept your old push frame, unless you buy it from the same place as made the plow. If that is the case, it is usually simple to have a welder move them, or to make new ones. Yes, you can use the winch to lift and lower the blade, if your winch is suitably located. I use a strap on my ride's from bush guard and a ******-block to control the winch cable and to route it so that it does not scuff the machine nor abrade the cable. Using a ******-block also halves the cable speed, making plow control much easier and saving wear on the winch.

Old 11-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snow Plows

Thanks for all the info....Ill have to take a better look at what is already on the machine....

Old 11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Snow Plows

IF YOU MAKE YOUR OWN PLOW MOUNT PLEASE TAKE NOTE: The plow-mount skid plate is made of heavy steel plate for a very good reason, that is, if it was not so thick then you may bend the frame of your ride if you hit something hard when plowing. The thick steel mount plate acts to stiffen the frame of the bike, just so that forces that may (and do) act unequally on either side of the frame from the plow cannot push the ATV chassis out of true. Don't use thin metal to make a mount, use at least 3/16" thick steel and do attach it at all four corners of the frame when the cross tubes are welded, plus use a couple of u bolts on the cross tubes so that you don't shear off the rather small bolts that fit the tapped holes (where the stock skid plate was attached).

Old 01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Snow Plows

Just to fill you all in.....

Cycle country made three diffent width push tubes in the 90's. The standard width now is 14.5". In the 90's they also made 13" and 12". All the brakets that they make now are based on the 14.5" width.

So as long as your push tubes are 14.5" you just need to purchase a new bracket vs. buying new pushtubes.

$50 for the bracket
Pushtubes were $195

Anybody know if these prices are good.

Also, do you know if any plow can attach to any pushtube...? Im thinking I may get a stateplow instead of a straight blade.

What do you guys perfer to plow with......?

Old 01-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Snow Plows

i purchased a plow from honda for my 650. it mounted up quite easy .only took about 1/2 hr to make a different mount for the front (cost 5 bucks).everything else fit perfect including the manual lift.paid 375 cdn for it which is almost half of what a warn plow would have cost me here.so if you are handy with a welder almost any plow can be made to work well.