Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

brute force torn cv boot torn

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brute force torn cv boot torn

Thank you!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brute force torn cv boot torn

Hi, cvman
It'd not that difficult to do. I have all the things you need to do the job. It's easier to replace the outer boot from the inner cv joint end of the shaft.
Here's the installation instructions:
The only way to remove the outer cv joint is to hit it off the shaft with a hammer. The problem with this is that is may damage the joint in the process so I would only recommend this if your replacing the cv joint anyway. If you are not replacing the outer cv joint then the safest thing to do is put it on from the inner cv joint side. The inner cv joint is very simple to remove. First you'll want to remove the clamps from the boot (you'll want to buy the additional clamp kit for $2). Being careful not to puncture the boot you can pry up on the tabs that hold the band in place or just cut by putting a screwdriver under them and prying up to give you enough room to get the metal snips under them. Once the boot is free slide it back toward the outer cv joint to expose the inner components. You'll find a large retaining clip that goes around the inside of the joint just above the ball tracks. Remove the clip by getting behind it with a small screwdriver. Once this clip is removed the inner cage, race, *****, & shaft will come out all together (wrap your hand around this to prevent the ***** from falling out all over the place). You'll find a retaining clip on the back of the shaft, remove this with retaining clip pliers or a large screw driver to spread the clip open. Once this is removed you'll be able to remove the cage, race, & ***** all together at one time. No your ready to install it on your new halfshaft. Make sure the boot goes on first. Then place the cage, race, & ***** on the the shaft making sure that the tapered side of the cage and race are facing toward the outer cv joint. Install the clip to hold it onto the shaft. Then fill the inner cv joint housing with grease and place it over the cage, race, & *****. Install the large clip. Now pull the boot down and install the large clamp. Then take a screw driver and place it in between the small part of the boot and the shaft and push the inner cv joint in all the way until it bottoms out. Then pull it back halfway (or to the mid range of the inner cv joint) and remove the screw driver and install the small clamp. Your now ready to install the axle back in the vehicle.

Thank you,

I have a polaris 2002 sportsman needs an inner cv boot .I have everything done except the cv won't come out of the rear end .Then I came across your post so what your saying is cut the boot clip slide it back,remove the inner clip under the boot and it should come right out.What you mentioned above is that info is for a polaris or just a general info for most atv's.