Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Maxxis bighorn questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis bighorn questions

How do you guys like them, how do they wear, and do they have any shaking problems?

Old 11-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Custom:

I purchased my Twin Peaks a couple months ago, and almost immediately put a set of the Bighorn Radials on.......and I absotively posilutely love 'em!! They've done REALLY well in the mud, but they seem to be more "at home" on the loose and rocky terrain. No complaints at all. Overall, I would give them an 11 on a 1-10 scale.

Thus far, I have logged over 300 miles, and there is little or no wear to mention. I must say, though, that I DO NOT ride on asphalt if at all possible, so that may account for the exceptionally good wear.

As far as the wobble/shaking problems.......I have noticed a little shake when I reach speeds of 40mph+ on hard pack, and in a straight line. I would venture to say that you would experience shake at that speed regardless of what tire you choose, provided it had the very large lugs like the Bighorns. Also, as I mentioned above, the tires I have are radials, so the sidewalls are a bit more firm than bias-ply tires......which may be indicative of the response I get from the tires.

Again, you CAN NOT go wrong with the tires......I believe you would be most pleased.

Not to mention, they look aggressive as hell.......which, to me, is pretty cool. Check out my pics for an idea as to how they would look on your Prairie.

Just my 2 cents.......................

Old 11-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

what size are your bighorns?

Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

loafie:

I'm running stock sizes on the TP.......25x8-12 front, and 25x10-12 rear.

I planned on putting 26's on until I talked with a good friend of mine (who happens to be the master mechanic at the local Kaw/Zuki/AC shop), and he said that he's noticed a bunch of the utility quads that have the bigger tires are running into problems with the CV joints wearing out prematurely. In fact, I spoke with him today, and he said that last week alone he had to replace the CV joints on 5 quads........and they ALL had 26"+ tires.

While I'm sure there are ways around this problem, I couldn't justify spending extra money for an inch or two of clearance.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for your input! I agree, they look real good. I'm hoping to get a set this week[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

I live in the mountains in northern california and run the big horns they are terrific in hard rock and punishing type terrain. We don't have all that much mud here but the hills have rocks like razor blades. The big horns have a strong side wall and a good rubber compound for hard pack and rock. You really have to fit the tires to the terrain I have seen a few guys buy the 589's which are great mud tires but the sharp rocks here slice up the rubber between the lugs so a narrower lug pattern is a bit better in serious rock. I have never had a problem with the big horns they are a tough durable tire I am sure there are tires just as good but tires are one of those things that when you find a type that really work for you ya hate to go testing new types. Guess we just need a place that will let us go test drive all the different tires before we buy them.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

CF&W,

I like them. the bad thing is i dont think i will ever wear them out damnit, how am i going to try other tires this way. i did notice a little wobble on the road 40 +, like RTO870 said but nothing major.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

The weight is less on the bias ply Horns, But after doing a little pluggin on them this past weekend! Im not going to worry about a little extra tire weight and Im going back to the bullet proof Radial Horns. Getting ready to mount my 3rd set of Horn Radials on the Beadlocks so they do wear and kind of round off after a few thousand miles. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ~coop

www.MarylandATV.com
785 V-force
Prairie 700

PS:
Make sure you get the NEW batch of radials! they have yellow circle mounting points on them to line up with the steim. See Photo on my photo page.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

What are the chances I'll be getting old ones? Few thousand miles??!! You guys are lucky, I spend more time dreaming about riding than actually doing it!

Old 11-18-2004, 02:51 PM
Trailblazer

i am interested in the bighorns as well. i mainly ride hardpack trails, loose rocky hills, steep hills with slick tree roots, and an occasional mud hole when i come up on one on the trail. do the 25s measure up to a true 25" or are they shorter?

Quick Reply: Maxxis bighorn questions