Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?

The question is why did Kawi make the Brute Force so freaking tall? It has less ground clearance and less suspension travel than a Grizzly, but it is 3" taller than a Grizzly for crying out loud, and the Grizzly has never won any handling awards from anyone. So what did Kawi expect was going to happen when they came out with a Winnebago instead of an ATV.

I just think they could have done better with the Brute force by keeping it a whole lot lower in regards to seat height, and rack height, and by making it a few inches wider. Instead they get last place in a shootout.

There will be other shootouts, lets just wait and see if the vote is unanimous from all the magazines.

OL

Old 11-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

they made it so tall for tall people, we have a problem sitting on low quads, too much knee bending. The Brute Force fits my 6'2" frame very well.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

When you add a set of good tires and wheels it totally changes the handling characteristics on the BF.
I just came back from hunting last weekend; it was my first extended ride on the BF with my ATR's mounted on the C-Series. The machine was awesome as far as handling, steering effort and traction. I traded in a 700 Sportsman on this bike and except for the ride there is no comparison performance wise. The BF is super fast, better handling, has 4 wheel engine braking unlike the SP, where you must use all the braking power you have unless you want the rear tires to skid out of control on the mountain side. The Brute may have some flaws but are easy to fix and actually make it better.

Old 11-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sep1 When you add a set of good tires and wheels it totally changes the handling characteristics on the BF.
I just came back from hunting last weekend; it was my first extended ride on the BF with my ATR's mounted on the C-Series. The machine was awesome as far as handling, steering effort and traction. The Brute may have some flaws but are easy to fix and actually make it better.
Sounds good..... but remember that the magazines test the machines as the come from the factory, this is the machine that Kawi wanted to put out to their customers. If it's top heavy, doesn't handle quite right, and has a low end miss, that's what the magazine test riders will see when they test it. It's not up to them to correct the problems.
Kawi could have copied Polaris Sp or Rincon rear suspension geometry, but they tried to reinvent the wheel and it came up a little out of round.
The most important characteristic of any machine is how it handles; if it's off-target, all the other strong attributes will be overlooked.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

NovaKaw650,
You hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself.

OL

Old 11-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

They probably are the same. Kawi and suzuki is joined in alot of a things. We have pallots of crap that says suzuki motor corp. on them. I think that when suzuki sold them the Z-400, they had some more deals in with it. But I mean why not. Kawi has the best 4X4, and suzuki DID have the best sport. So im sure they traided some ideas. As long as the leave polaris by themselves im ok with that.

Old 11-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Who Won, (1st 2nd 3rd?) and who was in the running? I didnt get my issue yet!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Sep1
When you add a set of good tires and wheels it totally changes the handling characteristics on the BF.
I just came back from hunting last weekend; it was my first extended ride on the BF with my ATR's mounted on the C-Series. The machine was awesome as far as handling, steering effort and traction. I traded in a 700 Sportsman on this bike and except for the ride there is no comparison performance wise. The BF is super fast, better handling, has 4 wheel engine braking unlike the SP, where you must use all the braking power you have unless you want the rear tires to skid out of control on the mountain side. The Brute may have some flaws but are easy to fix and actually make it better.
Nope, had a brute for the weekend with bighorns, worst handling quad I've ever been on. Way worse than the grizz I traded in on my p-700. Was gonna trade in my p-700 on a bf when i tried the brute in the parking lot (power!!!), glad I got in some seat time before i made that mistake. I'll wait for the 800sra next year.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

The way I see it alot of people say, myself included that the KQ handles alot like the Grizz and for the Polaris 700 to beat out the Brute, through in the fact that the P700 easily beat out the grizz and the Polaris 700 last year in every mag out there, I would say Kawi put there new 750 motor in the wrong Brute. Given these variables Kawi would still be the champ if the SRA BF650 had the 750 motor. just IMO.

PS. the way I understood it , all those SP800's that the mag's have been testing were preproduction quads and the production mdls were not available yet.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Nope, had a brute for the weekend with bighorns, worst handling quad I've ever been on. Way worse than the grizz I traded in on my p-700. Was gonna trade in my p-700 on a bf when i tried the brute in the parking lot (power!!!), glad I got in some seat time before i made that mistake. I'll wait for the 800sra next year[/

I wouldnt base your opinion on a ride thru the parking lot.... or did you actually ride it thru the woods

Those people who think that the BF does not handle well either rode with stockers or is on Crack!

I ride in all types of terrain, mud, tight twisty offcamber singletrack, hills and my bf performs flawlessly.

In all the forums that I participate in I have only seen 2 people that have traded or sold their brute, ALL the others wouldnt trade it for anything

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Dirt Wheels Shootout...Brute THIRD place?