Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Tires for P700

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for P700

After looking around I decided on some tires for what type of trails I will be ridding. I think the Mudlights are the way for me to go. 25” or 26”

I was taking to ATV dealer where I bought my machine and suggested I stay with the same size tires on my machine as they have had problems with working on machines under warranty with gear and axle problems (with changing tire size). Kawi has refused to honor some repairs due to these issues because of oversized tires and rimes (here in Canada). Got the 3 yr warranty and 2500lb winch, free (yea, right) when I purchased the beast, so I don’t want to void warranty while the bike is still new.

One of the tire dealers in the area advised that I should put on 26” muddies on the rear and 24” on the front, does this sound right? (Sounds a bit odd). This would deal with the size issues with the 25” rims and axel issues that I have with the P700.

If I go with the 26” do I need to change the rims too?
Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default Tires for P700

To answer your question regarding your warranty you will really need to know what the consumer protection laws are there in Canada. Just because a dealer here in the U.S. will honor a warranty after the tires are changed doesn't mean that one has to in Canada. Those issues are typically governed by consumer protection law. There was a time here that if you changed anything including tires on your car it could void your warranty, new laws were enacted that dictated what would constitute voiding a warranty. I would presume in Canada they may also post law to where you can access it on the internet but if not look up an attorney that has a specialization in consumer law and ask the question. As for the tire size I most certainlt would not put 26" on the rear and 24" on the front, typically you run the same size front and rear just the fronts will be a little narrower than the rear mainly a handling issue.

Old 11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Range Rover
Default Tires for P700

Do not run two different size tires on your machine. It would be alright with 2wd but not with 4wd. I had 27" 589's on mine. I shatered a front cv joint. I decided to stay with the stock size. I ended up with ATR radials. I just feel that your better off with a radial tire on the Prairie. I have no complaints. If i were buying tires now I would probably buy the Bighorn radials.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tires for P700

It is the actual size of the tire that is important, not the stated size. I say this because I bought a set of 27" Vampires for my 2004 Grizzly, and the front 27x9.50x12 tires were 26 1/2" tall, while the rear 27x12.50x12 tires were 27 1/2" tall. When I purchased a similar set of Vampire tires (they work GREAT) for our second Grizzly I purchased a set of 27" front tires, and 26" rear tires, and with that set of tires both the front and rear tires were 26 1/2" tall. Kind of wierd, but that was what worked best. You should have seen all the people that told me I was going to wreck my Grizzly after they read the tire sizes on the sides of the tires at an ATV Jamboree, LOL. Man did I get tired of explaining that one.

OL

Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Tires for P700

I know that I am late answering your thread with my 2 cents worth, sorry about that. I put 26" Mudlites on my'04 P700 with the stock rims and it was the dealer that put them on for me. You would definitely need 26" for front and back . In 4wd with different sizes front and back, you would tear differental gears apart in time. I am now in the process of getting a seal put in the front differental through warranty( I have the same warranty deal as you) and the dealer has no problem with the tires. I have 3800km and 180 hours on the bike that I bought in March '04 and have loved every minute of it. Good luck

Old 12-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Tires for P700

I went with 26" Dirt Devils these tires hookup, I have 12x10x26 and 12x12x26 no problems.These tires have some tread on them and you can't beat the smooth ride on hard packed. That's a thing you have to look for, i believe the mudlites will be ok as far as that goes but some of the other mud tires will ride like crap . I have a pic of them if you want to see[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Tires for P700

I have 26" Mudlites. I love them. they do ride stiffer than stock tires, but not too bad. I think they match up height-wise front to rear, I can push my bike in neutral (full time 4wd) on a dusty garage floor and see that they turn the same revs front to back. I did break a CV joint, but it was my fault, shoved a stick through the boot and kept riding on it. 25 to 26 isnt a big deal. Must be the tire dealer putting 26's rear and 24's front thats voiding warranty's.

You shouldnt need new rims, but the extra 1 or 1.5 inch spacing is nice to have. My tires come so close to rubbing my oxlite CV guards even with the new rims, I dont think they would fit mine without them.