Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

first ride on a kawi

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first ride on a kawi

ok, i went for a big ride on a prarie 650 on friday. overall, the machine wasnt bad, but at the same time, wasnt great.....

as for motor, in high range it wasnt quite as ungodly as i was hoping, my scrambler seemed to have more oomph behind it. in low range, it was nice. that thing threw some roosts pretty good in high, and in low, it really threw it. keep in mind this atv had 28in mudlites.

as for suspension, if you blew the rear end out, it handled good, but if u didnt, it seemed tippier than most SRA's. as i said, it does have 28in tires, so they dont help. it was arguably the smoothest riding SRA out there though, ill give it that.

the 4wd system was ok.....that was my biggest complaint with the machine. the pause to get it into 4wd, it was annoyin for me. when i hit the button, im expectin it right there, not having to blip the throttle multiple times.

as for the tranny, it was noisier than id like, and a pain to shift. liked to grind gears (compared to a yamaha or polaris). the belt was also annoyin bein so noisy.

overall its not a bad atv, but id still take my scrammy over it.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry but that P650 needed to be waked up. I did very little mod to my 650 and it is side by side to my friends modd scrammy. The 28" tires should have made the 650 just a nudge behind a scrammy on top end only. From the sounds of it it didn't have a frequency thing (holeshot modual) and it could use some jetting. I do prefer the rear suspension on the scrammy. If you get use to it it's npt tippy at all, infact I don't even see that at all anymore, and I think you are right about the tires but I can do 360s on my 589 28" and leave all 4 on the ground if I want too. I do agree about the 4x4 but now I'm use to the 4x4 and it's not so bad. The shifter shouldn't been noisey at all, maybe the idleing wasn't set right. The belt is noisey even under the nice sound of the Kawi twin. I do recommend the P700, If I was comming from the scrammy, I know you would see the difference. The main scrammy guy I travel with here is getting the Preditor now since I started mod my 700.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

this p650 is bone stock. what i meant with the shifter is it was a pain to get it into gear. if u were in low, i always had to go to high before i could get reverse, otherwise it wouldnt go back.

my scrambler walks away from the prarie the entire stretch, no comparison. my scrambler a filter and thats it