Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dayco Drive Belt Trial.. Status Report

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dayco Drive Belt Trial.. Status Report

I asked for input from any riders having Dayco Belt experience and I contacted Dayco with a trial proposal three weeks ago, giving them my preliminary concerns from those I had talked to. The summary of the concerns that I learned about of running the Dayco belts were related to four observable properties of the Dayco Belt product. Those properties are : The relatively thinner sidewall area, the relatively harder compounds and the relatively stiffer belt cords of the Dayco HP2018 and HP2018 Drive belts, and the absence of top-cogs, as compared to Kawasaki OEM belts. I asked whether there was reason for concern about any of these properties effects on the sheaves of the ATV clutch and was not given a clear answer by Dayco. My proposal to do a controlled trial has not yet been replied to by Dayco, despite two promptings. I do not have any answers at this point, only questions. It is not possible for me to give a recommendation concerning the use of Dayco drive belts on Kawasaki ATV at this time. I have no grounds upon which to recommend them and consider that there may well be a risk to the clutch sheaves, if they are used, owing to their reduced area-of-contact with the sheaves and the hardness of the belt compound. I can also offer no informed opinion about how the Dayco belt can function in respects of the Kawasaki belt failure warning system in the absence of top cogs. I can not now shed any light upon anecdotal information received that suggests that Dayco belts provide a relatively short service life. If Dayco should agree to my trial proposal and I conduct such a trial aty a future date, I will post factual results as soon as they as they are known.

In the meanwhile, if you should be interested in running a Dayco Belt on your own machine, it would be prudent to frequently monitor the wear on the clutch sheaves.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

<u>I have seen no reason to use a dayco belt , there are for more complaints on them per the number in use than there are of kawie belts. </u>[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

ive tryed the dayco's early spring, 2 2017hp-700p belts. i emailed them my concerns, to this day they havent replied yet. so dont hold your breath. i have since then sold both of them and replaced them with a factory 700p belt.

i will never try a dayco belt again. everything ive read and for what ive seen from my own experance, they would have to make it out of gold for me to consider it again.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

When you lay a dayco belt beside a kawasaki belt the dayco looks it should be sold at the dollar store , they just look cheap and perform about the same as they look.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

just thought I'd let you guys know I posted a thread on this, see what ya think "Dayco 2018 on Belt Failure less than 200miles!!!"