Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

edit: Installed DG5 and Dyno-Jet

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prairie 700 Sputtering

Well i got the carbs off last night and i am gonna take them to my freind that is at a local shop and he is gonna tear them down and clean them really well.

I cleaned the air filter really well and blew it off with at air hose it is clean. I also took carb cleaner to it about where it was sputtering and then reved the throttle a couple more times to insure cleaning it out. Then i changed the plugs. Still stumbles. So i pulled the carbs of and i am gonna get them cleaned really well. I don't have a freind with a prairie.

I will double check all of my exhaust bolts.

Thanks for all your help i will let you know what i find out tonight after re-installing the carbs.

Josh

Old 12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

does anyone know if those carbs need to be synchronized? That would make a big difference if they do.

Didi you make any adjustments to the carbs at all (with a screwdriver),,,or just clean them?

where are all the Praire guys????

Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Range Rover

The carbs come off together and go on together. I am not messing with the jetting i am simply just taking them apart and re-installing them. I really hope that resolves my problem because i just got my dg-5 and flywheel degree key in the mail about 20min ago and i would really like to install that.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

Josh a drastic change in temperature will require you to readjust your airscrews. Numerous threads on this forum on how to. If you havent't done this and your bike is popping and caughing after it has warmed up, you definately need to readjust your idle mixture. What is the temp now versus when it was running good?

I had my machine purring and the next few days the temp dropped to the 30s from the 50s and she was popping and backfiring at 1/4 throttle (lean on the mixture) early that morning in the 30 degree weather while on the way to my deerstand. After the morning hunt, it warmed back up to near 50 and no more caughing and backfiring thru carbs, just instant Wheelstand when you nailed the throttle.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff

Old 12-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Range Rover

tuff,

I will be installing my carbs tonight and hopefully it will cure my problem. I will also play with the airscrews also because i have experinced that before with the popping sound in change in temps. I think my problem is with the carbs because i found some mud in them. I will let you know after i get them on there.

Thanks again

Josh

Old 12-13-2004, 09:04 AM
Range Rover

Okay after i re-installed the carbs the sputtering cleared up. But i dialed in the airscrews and to lean and it would pop through the carbs and backfire out exhaust. If it was too rich it would do the same. So i got it to having a good tan looking plug. It runs decent without sputtering as much but it will bog at full-throttle for a second then about 20mph it will just run hard and not sputter at all?

Is there anything else i could check out tuff?

What about the coil and plug wires for moisture? Is there a way to check them?

Old 12-13-2004, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

Also is there a fuel filter on these atvs? I thought i seen one by the carbs should i go ahead and clean that?

Old 12-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like in the begining you had dirt in between jet and the needle. At 1/4 - 1/2 throttle you would be on the needle.

the clear filter like thing you are seeing near the carb is a site glass for the anti-freeze, it runs through the carbs. no fuel filters near the carbs that I know of on mine.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Josh, before you start adjusting anything clean your gunk out of your carbs like we talked about. Then blow them out with some compressed air. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know what kind of airfilter you are running or if you have any holes drilled in your airbox. Be sure your air filter is clean or new with the proper amount of oil.

If you do have holes drilled in your airbox for more air try duct taping one at a time closed to see if sputtering gets better or worse. Sounds like you are are there on your main jets. You just got to thread the needle in the haystack, on your air filter, needle height, and airscrew setting.

One last thought, Remove your Fuel Petcock and ensure no trash is in it. Remove petcock and attach to a low pressure compressed air source and open & close valve & blow out petcock. Reattach petcock to main fuel line but Disconnect line from carb side and turn on your key, let fuel run into a container from your petcock cycle the petcock back to the open and closed position. The Lakotas & Suzuki Quads have had similar problems with the fuel petcocks going bad not allowing enough fuel to feed engine.

Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: edit: Installed DG5 and Dyno-Jet