Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Whats a good helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM
US Army lifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good helmet to buy?

If a helmet is Snell rated, it is a good helmet. Just remember that you can die from a nasty spill even with a helmet on. They're not lifesavers, just a little added insurance. Another thing to remember: a Snell rating is given to any helmet that meets the test standards. It doesn't take into consideration helmets that far surpass the minimum parameters required for approval. There is no A, B, C, D, it's all pass/fail. Some people don't want to spend a lot of money on a helmet, and I can understand, as long as they buy a Snell rated one. Me personally, I will spend the money for a high quality helmet. Not because it is safer, but because it is put together with better materials. I'm talking about the shell and liner. A lightweight carbon fiber or kevlar shell is much easier to deal with than a fiberglass one if you ride for a long time. Interior comfort and durability are high on my list, too. I've seen one year old helmets with trashed padding and liners as well as five year old helmets that look new after much more abuse, both well cared for. I'm not talking about a few rides, but full race seasons. What do I put on my nugget? Shoei. For my taste, they are the best.

Old 01-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good helmet to buy?

I think everyone makes great helmets. Basically you are payin for style, comfort, and graphics. I own a M2R motocross helmet, an HJC motocross helmet which I just bought last yr, and I got a full face Shoei. I have always like Shoei. Arai makes good ones too. I paid over $350 for my Shoei, mainly for the graphics which have a rattle snake on it. Looks tight. I guess it boils down to how much you are willing to spend. Almost all helmets are snell and dot approved. I'd get one with a removable liner for sure. Very nice feature. Good luck!