Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Whats a good helmet to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a good helmet to buy?

Im in search of a good full faced helmet. Ill be riding a lot in the snow, plowing and whatnot. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Whats a good helmet to buy?
One that you wear all the time!!!

Seriously though. One thing that some people don't know is: A $50 2000 Snell rated helmet is just as SAFE as a $500 2000 Snell rated helmet. Or another way to look at it is: A $50 2000 Snell rated helmet is more safe than a $500 95 Snell rated helmet.
Look at the Snell rating; not the price.
Comfort is another story: If you new helmet is not comfortable, it is not much use because your not likely going to wear it. They can make a cheap helmet just a safe as an expensive one but MAYBE not as comfortable. The only way to see if you like it is to try one on.
P.S. Make sure it fits correctly!!!!

Old 01-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

i have always liked hjc helmets myself. pretty light and very comfortable

Old 01-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

while i do agree if it is snell rated it is good enough.
the snell rating would be a minimum standard while some of the higher line helmets can and do offer better protection and are more comfortable and lighter.
I have used HJC,SHOIE and THH they alll served the purpose. I only use the THH for plowing and what I consider low speed operations....its basically a cheap helmet I don't mind if it gets scratched.
FOR highspeed on my zx12r its only a SHOEI I personally have crashed tested one they work.

Old 01-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

I've always been very leary of buying a helmet online, because when I went to a local place to try them on, I bet I tried 20 on before I found one that really fit comfortable. I always wear a helmet and even have a motocomm installed in mine for our rides. But when you first get a helmet, it may start causing your cheeks or jaw to ache after a little bit of riding. Just keep wearing it because the helmet will mold to your face and the next time you wear it, it won't hurt at all. Mine was hurting me the first hour I wore mine, but after that first time, I could pull it on and off and it's perfectly comfortable. Too many buy a helmet that is too loose because it might feel a little uncomfortable when they first put it on, but later it will be too loose.

I'm a firm believer in wearing a helmet all the time. I even wrote a special editorial about wearing a helmet on our ATV Association's website below:

http://www.southmississippiatva.com/helmet.htm

Old 01-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

I use a Fulmer AF SX2 style helmet. About 100 bucks or less depending on where you go, Snell 2000 and DOT rated. Only bad part is scratching it up, they are so pretty when you first buy them. Whats worse is it got scratched in transport, and not while on my head, I guess thats not worse when I think about it. I am looking for a nice helmet bag or other solution for transporting it though.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have a couple street bike helmets....Arai Quantums that are very comfortable and fit me very well. They also have the breath guard and tinted shields. Is this suitable for an ATV helmet, or does 4 wheeling take a toll on these $350 helmets?
Thanks

Old 01-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

What does a new tinted shield compared to a pair of goggles cost? I really have no idea, but after a season of summer riding, my goggles are allmost allways trashed from rocks, sand, dirt and need new lenses or replaced. 16 bucks buys new goggles. That would be my only concern.

:edit: I looked up new face shields for your Arai Quantum, about 40 bucks depending on the website.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Trailblazer

tinted shields are 50-60 bucks...that could get ugly!

Old 01-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

One thing I forgot to mention is there are basically three types of helmets to get and basically three ratings. The most common ratings are DOT and SNELL. There is another rating, but SNELL and DOT is what you will mostly see. SNELL is a higher rating and if you get one of those, it is supposed to be safer.

The three basic types of helmet are full faced with face shield, MX style, and open faced. Open faced are cooler than the other two, but don't offer protection for your face if you fall forward, and I've known of some who needed dental surgery from wrecks on ATVs. I have a full faced with face shield (basically street bike type) and it is heavier than the MX style and also hotter. The MX style offers face protection, is cooler by allowing wind to hit your face, but also has eye protection with goggles. The only drawback with the MX style is that you have to buy goggles seperately. I had a full faced, but it was just too hot to wear and was heavy and now I use an MX style. That open faced is enticing because of being the lightest and coolest, but I want some protection for my ugly face. I don't want to make it any uglier. Most riders of ATVs wear the MX style. But if you get an MX helmet and goggles to go with it, I highly recommend the Roko goggle quick straps. They are sold at Rocky Mountain ATV and other places. To me, they are the best things since sliced bread.

Quick Reply: Whats a good helmet to buy?