Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Just installed a plow on the Brute

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed a plow on the Brute

Wow, alot of action here since I last looked!

That Tusk belly mount sounds like a real gem. To bad I'm already comitted to this CC set up, I just bought what they had and didn't shop the plow at all...another lesson learned. I measured the lift height yesterday and it sits about 8 1/2" high in up lock with the manual lift. I picked up on it and it will only go andother inch or so before the tubes hit the frame. I wouldn't gain much from the winch lift with this rig. The only way to get the plow any higher would be to extend it out further though it sticks out there pretty far already.

As far as that 10" raise claim that was mentioned before:
Mind you I aint knockin' anybody's rig here but allowing all the reality I can into manufacturer's claims. I would guess CC could get away with about the same claim with this rig of mine. By the time you add in an inch of float (amount plow drops below ground level in down position) and an inch or so of squat when I lift it up and the front suspension assumes all the weight of the plow, that's about a 10-10 1/2" lift. The lever has to provide that much lift to get my plow 8 1/2" inches off the deck. Maybe Moose figured all that in and made an accurate statement of above ground lift and not lever lift amount in their claim, I don't know. It's worth asking about if that number matters that much to you. At any rate I would guess they lift at least as much as CC but then with the heavier gear they provide as y'all stated you might have more squat up front. Maybe a click or two on the springs would mellow that factor a bit.

In the case of a winch lift the float number is a gimmee as the cable will provide all the float you need. The lift height is then only limitted by the distance between the tubes and the frame. Question about winch operation...I don't have one so I don't know how this works. Is there an auto shut off when the cable is spooled in so far? How would you keep from doing damage to something by pulling the plow up too far with the winch unless the winch would auto off at a certain point?

Tires:
I am running the 26x10x12 Dirt Devils on C4's all the way around. I don't know what the offset is, I bought them used...any idea MarylandATV? The do stick out ever so slightly in the front but the reasr seem to be covered by the fender still. This is just a visual observation I haven't measured it or mudded it since the wheel change. The Dirt Devils seem like good tires for slow turning traction. I know they tear the snot out of my yard when just putting around. They do break traction easier than the stock tires when you hammer it though. I have to use a fair amount of body english to wheelie anymore which is a real disappointment to me. That silly kids' stuff is rather important to me still [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

My plans for now are to keep things the way they are and remove the plow mount when the threat of snow has passed. Once I get it off the quad I'll look into fabricating a skid plate that gives good protection and is threaded so I can bolt the plow mount up to it without the U's hanging down. That should make it easier to remove for hard core playing.

God bless,

-BunnMan