Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

BF Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BF Carbs

Why does oil appear in my carb filter? I recently snorkeled the bike and the air box is sweaky clean, but I see oil around the base of the air filter. Why/How does this happen?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Range Rover
Default BF Carbs

Are you sure it's motor oil? The base of the sir filter can get some air filter oil on it after it's been on for a while. If it's RED in color, it's air filter oil.... otherwise...I dunno???

mike

Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default BF Carbs

Check your oil level. If its at or past full mark could be from Crankcase vent. V-twins are heavy breathers and some like oil level below full mark.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default BF Carbs

Some of the air filter oil is draining to the bottom of the filter. and collecting on the base. No matter how good you wring out the filter it will still do this. My Brute did this from the factory and now that I use AMSOIL air filter oil it still does it.

TwinAir is supposed to have some air filter oil that stays in place and doesn't drain to the bottom of the filter. I bet it even does a little bit.

I highly doubt it's motor oil. The Crankcase Vent does run to the airbox and if you overfill your oil it can get into the airbox. But this will usually cause a good deal of smoke out the exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about it. After each filter cleaning just squeeze as much of the oil out as you can and let it go. You can also remove the filter after a good long ride and give it a squeeze. The heat from the ride will have loosened up some oil and you might get a little more out.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer
Default BF Carbs

Originally posted by: BamaBrute
Some of the air filter oil is draining to the bottom of the filter. and collecting on the base. No matter how good you wring out the filter it will still do this. My Brute did this from the factory and now that I use AMSOIL air filter oil it still does it.

TwinAir is supposed to have some air filter oil that stays in place and doesn't drain to the bottom of the filter. I bet it even does a little bit.

I highly doubt it's motor oil. The Crankcase Vent does run to the airbox and if you overfill your oil it can get into the airbox. But this will usually cause a good deal of smoke out the exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about it. After each filter cleaning just squeeze as much of the oil out as you can and let it go. You can also remove the filter after a good long ride and give it a squeeze. The heat from the ride will have loosened up some oil and you might get a little more out.

Use a spray air filter oil. IT will stay in place ok.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Default BF Carbs

ok, I'm confused. I know the enginie oil is at baout 90% full, the "oil" that is at the base of the foam carb air filter is where the clear oil apprears. I do not know of a "air filter" oil. Please explain.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer
Default BF Carbs

Originally posted by: sar70
ok, I'm confused. I know the enginie oil is at baout 90% full, the "oil" that is at the base of the foam carb air filter is where the clear oil apprears. I do not know of a "air filter" oil. Please explain.
Thanks

air filter oil is sticky. It collects the finer dust particles and filters them out of the air that is comming into your air box.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default BF Carbs

Where is this oil kept?
My air filter is dry as a bone execpt for the bottom that is touching the ring.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default BF Carbs

you need to buy it either as a spray can or as a liquidy form, you either spray it on the filter, or soak the filter in the oil, then ring it out and put it back in. Make sure you fully clean the filter when you do t his too.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default BF Carbs

are you kidding? this BF750 has oiled air filter like K&N?

Quick Reply: BF Carbs