Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Atv action shootout issue is out

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Atv action shootout issue is out

I looked in the AtvAction shootout from last year and they posted the times but I couldn't find the distance they ran???

Here are those times however:

Cat 650 8.39
Quest 650 10.19
Rincon 650 8.30
Prairie 700 7.36
Sportsman 700 non efi 8.36
Grizzley 660 7.93

So they actaully have the Rincon faster than the Cat 650 or the Sportsman.

Now the Dirt Wheels Shootout from last year was just the opposite. I found the distance which was the standard 300 ft 100yd drag But I could not find the times posted anywhere in the article. They only said the Prairie 700 was first followed by the Sportsman 700 EFI whcih was 3 quad lenghts behind the Prarie they said. Next was the Grizz, Cat, Bombardier with the Rincon last. They did pick the Prairie 700 as the winner followed by the Sportsman 700 EFI.

Next I found last year's shootout done bt ATVMagazine. They had a bit different method of radaring each machine three times.

Here is that report. Each times is 0-15mph then 0-25mph and last 0-40mph

Rincon /1.66/3.28/9.80
Prairie/1.48/2.65/5.90
Grizz/1.75/2.96/6.48
Cat/1.39/2.50/5.24
Sportsman/1.35/2.80/7.44
Quest 650/1.87/3.30/7.59
Vinson500/1.48/2.63/5.84

Looking at the above would have the Vinson actually reaching all three speeds faster than the Grizz or the Rincon. The Prairie 700 was picked as overall winner with thr Rincon finishing 2nd. Also Atvmags first shootout is still online as well at Atvnews.com. The Rincon also won that year.

Ok now looking at the last two years of AtvRider's shootouts The Rincon took first place and then the Prairie 700 won last years event. I could not find any drag times or clocks for these 2 shootouts listed in the articles. The event from 2 years past is still online at Atvrideronline. I will post a direct link to that later.http://atvrideronline.com/tested/100_0306_showdown/
Also I spoke with a guy who was on that shootout from this area and he told me he couldn't understand the Rincon winning that test that the Prairie easily beat everything there in his opinion. And this was the old Prairie 650.

I haven't gotten a chance to pick up the latest isuue of Atv Action with thr new Shootout but thought it would be interesting to compare these older ones and see all these differences once again and compare them to the newest machines.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

Now Kodiac to answer your question. The problem is this. Slow climbing. The Rincon's 1st gear is not low enough to do it very comfortably on steep banks and trails. You have to keep giving it more throttle all the time. It feels like its gonna power out sometimes before reaching the top and if you stop or let off the gas it usually kills the motor and it dies. This has gotten better though since I re-adjusted the carb. Put a manual type quad in second gear and try to climb a real steep incline. Thats what the Rincon feels like to me. You want to shift down one more gear so you can go slower with more power to pull the hill. Then you see your already in first!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kodiac1
I am not so sure Yamaha would have any more issues than the BF has had in it's first year.I had a Kodiak the first year it was out (the new model 2000) and it was a very good machine.
02 650 Camo
I was talking about problems like the grizz has had , I own a Kodiak 450and they are trouble free but yamahas big bore has had a ton of problems , far more than any other big bore out and it would not surprise me if the next one is the same way but maybe they will put more test time in it.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Man,after hearing that I am glad I did not buy it afterall.Those times from ATV Mag are more like I have experienced.
I have always said the Vinsons I have been up against gave me as good of a challenge as a Grizz does and that also supports how bad I can beat a P700 and I have a 650.
The only Grizz issues I have seen has been the overheating (gas) issue on the 02 and 03's and the c-v joint on the 03's.
Of the 4 that ride or have ridden with us only one had a joint failure but he does have oversize tires.Other than that the engines and drivetrains have never been an issue.Thats probably from 4 machines with a combined mileage of 5-6 k.
02 650 Camo

Old 01-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

Don't get me wrong I am really liking the Rincon. In fact I'm liking better than I did. The Honda quality shines on this quad. The ride is great and the handling is the best of any IRS I've tried. It handles tight places and trails with ease and steers great with precision. The Rincon will move also, I just came in from riding some wheelies and opening it up a little. There is a good difference after the tranny warms up and gets going. So you give it a few practice runs and then its shifting better. I also just switched to Rotella Synthetic Oil yesterday after 175 miles. This also helps the tranny.

I will probably keep the Rincon as my Grandfather is partial to it. Its a great for an older person Just have to be carful with the very steep places. I may be looking at getting me a more Prairie type quad this summer for the more demanding intense situations.. We'll see what Kawasaki and Honda do this summer.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

So the prarie is still the best for fast aggressive trail riding? Do you think the king will be close in power when the new efi mapping becomes available?

Old 01-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

It should be close , this says a lot about the biv v-twins to know you have to spent money and work on the other top machines to get them up to kawies stock machinces. The spent a little on the kawies and you are a head again..The praire came out in late 2001 as a 2002 model and other that a bigger motor is mostly unchange , Kawie put the world in slow motion when they unvieled the prairie.

Old 01-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Thats another reason I am looking at the Kawies for my second quad. I wasn't all that impressed with the King I test drove, It didn't start up any better than my Rinny. But it is winning all the shootouts now but its kinda a no go for me already having an IRS quad that rides and handles terrific. I wanna go to something a little different now focusing on a different type of ride with more Power. The King's power was strong but once again IMO not that much different than my jetted Rincon. So it would really make no sense to buy a quad like the King to me already owning a Rincon. If I didn't own a quad period then I would look at the King more closely.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I went riding with a guy who just bought the KQ 700 and I love that machine. It may be something that I would want in the future, but right now I still like my Prairie more. The fun factor of a prairie is what sets it apart, but the ergonomics, comfort, and EFI of the King Quad did impress me. I am 40 now and my aggressive riding will be tapering off soon, I guess. And I may be looking for something like a King Quad in the future. But I still love to do things on my Prairie that I cannot do on a IRS. We were riding yesterday and some guy on a Grizzly was hot rodding his around where we load our ATVs. I was watching him try to spin it around and that IRS just won't let you do it as good as a SRA. Right before I loaded it up, I put my helmet back on and gunned it across some gravel, did a quick donut or two and gunned it back to the truck, with it fishtailing because of the back tires spinning on the gravel the whole way. When I got to the truck, I locked the rear brake and it slid sideways right up to the ramp. Ok, it was not on purpose and I only meant to slide straight forward, but it slid sideways and ended up right at the back of the truck and pointed up the ramps. I calmly got off with the attitude of "I meant to do that" and loaded it up. You just can't do things like that with an IRS, or you can't do them as good (my friend rolled his brand new KQ trying to do a donut). But I do love that King Quad and really think it's a great machine.

Click below for a picture of a KQ 700 in the middle of flipping and right before my friend bruised his ribs pretty bad.

http://www.southmississippiatva.com/...5/103_0314.JPG

Old 01-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent pic!!! Hope he's OK.

Quick Reply: Atv action shootout issue is out