Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Picked up BF 650 today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up BF 650 today!

Just got back from riding the Brute Force 650 for the first hour and I'm lovin it! Just picked her up today at 5 PM along w/ the Moose plow.

First impressions were good. Fit and finish looked A+ and the dealer even filled her up for me. I had a hard time starting it in the cold, I don't know if that's because it's brand new or just the nature of the beast. I'm not one to worry about the seat, but it felt kinda hard. Once on the trails though, the Brute rode very smooth and I was gliding over all kinds of small obstacles. It doesn't handle as good as the Scrambler, but I'm thinking the tires have a lot to do with it (as well as its larger size of course). The Dunlops feel like they roll a lot in the turns.

I'm happy with my decision 100%. Thanks guys for the help. This thing has gobs of power and sounds mean as hell. The speedometer is going to get me killed though. It's the first time I ever had one on a quad and I was always looking down thinking "that's it???" It's just teasing me to go faster![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just a few questions though...
What's a good trail/mud tire...589s? Mudlites?

What's a good pipe?

Will a K&N from a Prairie 650 fit w/ no probs?

Who makes good skid plates w/ good CV boot protection?

Thanks,
Tom

Old 01-08-2005, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats on the new machine....should be fun.

Can't answer most of your questions, but I have both Mud Lites and 589's...27" on my '05 Polaris 700 EFI. I posted a test awhile back on the Polaris forum...basically it depends on what you want. Overall they are really close, the Mud Lites are quite a bit lighter. The 589s perform better in Mud and Snow, but not by enough to rate them higher than the Mud lites. The 589's get better grip on the trail. One thing to note, the Mud Lites tread tapers towards the edge and the 589s are full lug all the way to the edge, hence the better performance in the mud and snow....also do better on fast riding in loose or soft terrain.....

Have fun on the new machine....

the starting could be due to the temperature up there in the Great White north, one of the reason I went with an EFI machine....my main reason was because of the altitudes I ride here, anywhere from 4500-13000 feet...

dave

Old 01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

OffRder15, they are a lot on the cold shouldered side , thats just there nature, I had new foam put in prairie 650 seat which made a huge difference but if you will drill a few holes under the seat that helps a bunch, as for tires I would look at big horns, maybe a 26 inch , I run 25 inch atr's on my BF 750 and ran them on my prairie. They are about the best trail tire made.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Check out my signature. Mods allow My "02" to Stomp Stock Utilities all the way to 67MPH. ATV Will flip with traction in low or high & wheelie with just throttle up to 15MPH in low gear. Serious Mud Slinger!!. Don't want to be behind Mudmachine-TriClaws when the throttle is dropped. Get you some better front tires and they will help immeasureably with the roll & steering. Don't know why Kawi Don't offer better OEM front springs & Tires, it's sure not if they don't know. Love the sound of my Supertrapp IDS. With 12 disks installed, Bike sounds like a heavy hitting smallblock @ 1/4 throttle. CDI was biggest Bang for Buck and will make you quickly over-spool your brakes, suspension, and PUCKER-Factor. Correct jetting will be the key with any add-ons. Keeep in mind heavier tires will rob some power and the 25" tires wii give you the most power plus work just great for trails. You are Gonna Love your Machine, It already has the better belt, clutch & Air Filter setup. Respect the Power, It'll quickly get you in over your head.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff

Old 01-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Congrats on the new 650. I was wondering which one you liked better? The scrambler or the 650. I am looking into getting a scrambler but haven't made up my mind yet...maybe you could give me a lil input

Old 01-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Prariescrammer
Congrats on the new 650. I was wondering which one you liked better? The scrambler or the 650. I am looking into getting a scrambler but haven't made up my mind yet...maybe you could give me a lil input
What is it that you think the scrambler can do better than your prairie 650 can. They only thing the scambler I had was better at was breaking down. The prairie rides smoother, has better ergonomics and is lower maintenance, and has alot better belt drive. Just my take on having owned both.

Congrats on the new BF650 OffRder 15 "great choice"

Old 01-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

On tires, I have had very good luck with 25" goodyear mudrunners.

On an aftermarket pipe, my understanding is that there is very little power gain for a Prairie with a new pipe. They all say 4-7 hp gain, but I have yet to see any proof. Some forum members say seat of pants gain, others say very little gain if any. Pipes for sport bikes good, but not Prairies, especially when you look at how much they want for them.

Richochet makes good skid and CV protection.

Have fun.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Awesome, another Kawi owner. I got 25" 589's on my V-Force and they are bad *** tires. Tough as hell and get me through anything. They are damn heavy though. I had mudlites on my V-Force too and I love them too but I needed somethin that would give me more ground clearance. I'd go with HMF. I'd just leave your stock filter in your atv. You might have to rejet it a little more if you get an aftermarket airfilter. Not sure if HMF did testing on the Kawi's with aftermarket filters in them. Good luck with yer new beast! Keep the rubber side down!

Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Prariescrammer,

I'll let you know more when I get more riding time in on the BF. (Give me another day or two.)

Thanks guys. Just plowed for the first time. This thing is a beast. It owned the snow!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

alright...any info you''' be able to give will be appreciated