Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Plow / Winch combo problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plow / Winch combo problems

I've got a 60" Moose plow and Warn 2.5 on my P700. The winch hooks to a loop on the plow but the plow doesnt lift very high before the end of the cable and hook get yanked into the winch. I remember seeing some type of pulley system or something out there to deal with this, but I cant find anything locally. How have others dealt with this, and where can I get the parts to fix it? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but Montana Jacks has a winch rotator system that looks killer. You have to be willing to shell out the cash for that tho.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

Here's an idea, don't know if it'll work or not, but take a look at it, and see if you would get more lift if you were to put a ****** block pulley and a D-ring on the plow, and then hook the cable up higher on your bumper somewhere.
While we're on the subject of plows, when is someone going to get a high clearance plow for our quads like the ones for the Polaris?
I have an American Eagle plow, and the belly mount is so low on my P700 that I actually took a sawzall to the lower part of the mounting points on the push tubes to get an extra inch of clearance.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Would it help to shorten the loop or weld an eye to the top of the plow?

Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just hook my winch hook lower on the plow frame where the tubes hook onto the plow and that will give you the extra winch line you need.......sometimes you have to black tape the hook so it doesn't keep coming unhooked.............................Dave

Old 01-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

You could get a pully and bolt it to your bumper/rack and run the winch cable up through it and down to the plow and that would work. Or you could find a lower place to hook the cable on the plow. I have the montana jacks recieiver system and use my winch and have no problems as it is mounted nice and high. The only issue I have run into is destroying the eye bolt trying to pull the plow past where the frame hits the skid plate of course that is because I wasn't paying attention.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem. What I ended up doing is took the hook off of the cable and used a quick link/d-ring and atached that to the frame of the plow and the loop of the cable. I ended up getting an extra 2". Still would like more

Does anybody know where the best spot to lift from. Im lifting 90 deg vertical from my roller. Should I be lifting from the front of the plow then I could get allot more lift but im not sure if its more strain on the winch.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen a bracket at the Yamaha shop that bolts to the rack and it has a pulley attached to it to route your cable thru it, I think this is a Cycle Country attachement there is also another one I saw at the Honda shop as I drove by. This is along the same lines as the one from Yamaha, except this one looked like it was in a big arch, where the other was more pointed straight out.

Dont see why it would not be possible to fab some thing up along these lines, some flat stock, a few u-bolts, a pulley/snatchblock, chain links and a hour or two. The only downside is that it would have to be removed if you wanted to take the plow off and wanted to use the front rack.

I use my plow/winch combo all the time and the only thing I do not like is the angle adjuster on my Cycle Country plow grabs hold of the clamp that holds my cable and hook. I found by using the hole closest to the blade prevents this and the angle is more 45degrees now.

I know you guys ride Kawi but the items I listed might help you even though(gasp) they were mounted on a Yamaha and Honda.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

AlaskaBoy.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a Glacier plow on my 04 sportsman 600 and the winch cable hooks about 2 in behind the plow blade. I gets about 12-13 in of lift. BEWARE lifting a plow with the winch will shorten the life of your cable. I have had the bike since march and already nead a new cable, frayed beyond belief.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Warn makes a synthetic plow lift rope that replaces your winch cable. It gives you a couple more inches of lift because you don't have the stiff cable end trying to go through the fairlead. I'm using one on my Moose county plow. It is also nice if you get a stuck winch button as the rope will break before the plow crushes your bumber or frame.

Quick Reply: Plow / Winch combo problems