Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Backup Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Lights

Malaha

Good point on the fuse. Forgot to mention Mine does have an inline 10 Amp fuse between battery and switch.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default Backup Lights

why don't you guys just use a heavy duty switch and skip the relay alltogether, it'a just another piece to fail, i've had a couple go out when i used to use a relay to hook up my extra lights. I have had zero problens with my setup and have ridden a couple thousand miles on this setup.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Range Rover
Default Backup Lights

Dakota, quality of the relays do vary.Bosch and/or Potterbrumfield are very reliable.The relays you get at discount stores or the ones that come in some kits are probably offshore product.

Lets not forget that if you need a reverse light and you have one that works then it's"mission acomplished"A wise man told me and i'll pass it on, "THERE'S A HUNDRED WAYS OF DOING IT RIGHT,CHOOSE ONE"

I'm personally a wiring wizard and screwed up as it is I like to trick out things with sleak switches and relays.

Spent first part of my working years installing custom $h!t.I'm the one to blame way back when car alarms first came out and started going off for no reason.Or the first time you saw a remote car starter.It's in the blood I guess.Hey not to mention back in the day hooking up nintendo into rear mount monitors,or DVD's in the dash the list goes on.Even built "command central"mobile communication vans.Lots of fun,they actually paid me to go and play at work.Oh those were the day.

The most important hint I can past on is fuse your main power.After that solder and heat shrink connections.Grease any connections that are exposed to extreme weather(moisture).M/M.

Old 01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Backup Lights

Yeah. The circuit shows the fuse at the battery feed if ya look at it..... always fuse! If yer dumping off another wire, always make sure it's beefy enough to handle what you ask of it..... and it's likely already fused.

Heavy switch works ok, but if yer throwing 10 amps thru it, it will arc with DC current (not good around fuel they say). Car makers (and toy makers like Kawasaki) use lots of relays these days, just look at the fuseblocks....

My Wing has a bank of about 12 relays that work the lights etc. My Avalanche has too many to count! The Prairie has six or seven if I remember right....

Relays! The wave of the future! Ha!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just kidding!

Old 01-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Backup Lights

hey rattlebars what is going to arc where and why with dc?

Old 01-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Backup Lights

Marty? Is that you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Opposite of dakota, I was always losing switches until I started using relays.....