Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Wants to die out at idle sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wants to die out at idle sometimes?

I have a '99 Prairie 400 2X4. It is very cold right now but she started right up with choke and no throttle. Ran it around in snow and let her idle- it wanted to die down and out unless I gave her some throttle. Ran around some more, idle and she dies down and out. Try to restart and doesn't want to go even with choke. Try it without choke, while cranking with a little throttle and she starts up. Run around and one time you stop and it idles good and strong. Next time it trys to idle slower and out. Seems inconsistent as you would think it would follow the same pattern each time. One other thing, this is first time I have used it since the valves were professionally adjusted at dealer- they said they were getting tight and did need the adjustment. I don't think their adjustment caused this? Old plug? Ideas- new ATV owner. It ran great before but did want to idle down and out one other time I can remember after being used and plenty warm- otherwise zero problems as she idled strong usually. Sorry for long post.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have been reading posts about cold weather and carb jets while waiting for a reply. I think that might be the problem as easy as it sounds- it is just too cold out right now to expect a smooth idle right off the bat. It is about 10 degress with a 20-30 mile and hour wind. I only had it out for fifteen minutes or so and the bike was probably still on the cold side. If anyone has another thought I'm all ears. Otherwise, I will take it our again tomorrow and see if she behaves better once warmed up and ripped down the street a few times. I do use fuel stabilizer but I need to buy fresher stock as it has been more than two years on that bottle of Stabil.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Gilly
Did you try adjusting your mixture screw out 1/4 turn? Bikes will run leaner when temps plummeth.

Happy Trails,

TuffEnuff[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

Would that be the pilot screw= mixture screw?

Old 01-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Gilly
Yes, mixture screw/pilot screw fine tunes pilot jet mixture. Back it out 1/4 turn more & see if it helps
also visit http://www.smellofdeath.com/lloydy/jetting.htm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff