Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

The Rock (Dayco Belt?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005 | 05:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default The Rock (Dayco Belt?)

I have 150 miles on it now with no symptoms and plan to do a look see soon.

Old 02-01-2005 | 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Kokiak1, the Dayco belt sells from $30-40, not $55, thats why people are tempted to use it.

Old 02-01-2005 | 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Kodiak, read my tread, the new belt that I will be testing is not by dayco. I will have more information when it becomes available[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] I am told that the new belt I will be testing will compare to the oem belt, looks wise and to be as durable as the oem.

My only beef I have with the dayco belt so far is that I feel it runs alot hotter then the oem belt( most likely due to no ribbing on the outside of the belt). I have had both machines apart lately and there is no wear at all on the sheaves.

Yamihoo is right on the money with pricing for the dayco( I have seen it from my source between $25 to $35).

M, that sucks with what it costs to live in Canada now, and to think I was considering moving back to Canada for my retirement.

Old 02-01-2005 | 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Ok....I was thinking I saw $55.00 somewhere but I guess that was for another belt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I would be interested to see how yours goes JPS.I am always for saving money IF something is just as good but I guess I am just kinda untrusting of non oe parts in certain situations.....if that Dayco fails like some say and it did not trip the belt switch or damaged the pulley system that would be REAL expensive.Mine is torn down right now because I am waiting for bushings to rebuild the drive and driven pulley.I had them look up the price for the rear inner pulley alone and it was $300.00...ouch so thats one reason I am leery..
02 650 camo

Old 02-01-2005 | 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Perhaps the 2017 is better than the 2018. I had the 2018. Mine did turn on the belt light, but only after it was already in shreds and obviously blown. I was going slow when it did blow, luckily. But I do have grooves in my sheaves, I don't know however if they were from the Dayco or the OEM with 1000mi. on it. Someone did a report on Dayco here stating the Durometer (hardness) of the rubber compound on the Dayco is harder, which could wear sheaves faster, especially after it is heated and hardened even more. THey are like tires, the stickier softer compound, the better it grips.
I've seen several complaints on the forums about sheave wear and Dayco's falling to pieces on them. I've only seen one or two people wrecking there OEM, and sounded like it was from abuse.
I always ride in low range whenever possible, and I keep the tension in spec. But I also do some hard pulling (logging) and I ride very agressive most the time.
Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-01-2005 | 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

I will try to post as much on here as possible but I spend a lot of time on the nyroc site these days.

Old 02-01-2005 | 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

IMHO , why buy a dayco belt ? You get what you pay for , they are cheap , have an extremely high unfavorable rating from people in these and other forums , I look at like you are paying $40 for a $5 belt , which is not a good deal, kawie belts do great, you never hear of a kawie belt leaving you stranded and hear of broken dayco's quiet often, to me its the same thing is looking for the cheapest oils and filters to run , does not make anysence to pay all the money for these quads than turn and look for the cheapest maintance items to keep them going. Kawie put ribs on these belts for a reason , they have to be there to trip the belt switch is there is a failure plus you get the extra cooling effect from them. Dayco are not only cheap but could deadly if you are running 70 mph and it comes apart and looks up the atv , the kawie belt will shut it down before that point. The only atv that I have seen that does better with belt life is the yamahas , I ride with with polaris's every time I ride and they go through belts quiet often, with proper maintance and use ( low range) kawies can get thousands of miles out of a belt.

Old 02-01-2005 | 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Jeffro, not to burst your bubble buddy, but Kawi does not produce their own belt, it is outsourced, just like Polaris and everybody else. The purpose for testing these belts are to find a company that can produce a quality, reliable, and reasonably priced atv belt for all of us to use.

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

jpsdiving , not to bust you bubble either buddy, but no one has said that kawie made there own belts, not sure where you came up with that , but if this will make it easier for you ,go to a Kawaski shop and buy the belts they sell , OEM belt, they are way better than Dayco , this has been proven. Does that help ??

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Jeffro, Jeffro, its ok.................

Quick Reply: The Rock (Dayco Belt?)