Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Dynatek dissapointment....

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatek dissapointment....

Myself and a buddy ordered two Dyna's DFS-2-13 for our 700 prairies, took delivery two weeks ago. I plugged mine in, and what a huge dissapointment! My quad barely started, and would not idle on it's own even after sufficient warmup time. I noticed a knocking coming from the engine that sounded very crank related. I actually plowed snow with this CDI, and after I was done, I unhooked the plow to confirm my suspicion that I actually lost power, and could only get 25 mph out of the quad in high range! Plugging in the stock CDI cured all of the problems, the knocking, the lack of power and the hard starting. Both quads are bone stock otherwise, and both CDI's tried on both machines netted the same result. I contacted Dynatek, and shipped both CDI's back, but they stated they have never had a complaint like this. Has anyone else seen this? They also stated that cold temperatures should not adversely affect the CDI or the quad.
Hopefully they make it right with both of us, as we have a West Virginia trip planned this March. I hope our return shipping fees are refunded as well.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

First complaint on Dynatek I've heard for awhile. I was going to order a CDI just tonight, but will wait to see what's up with yours first.

Dynatek has been pretty good about making things right with their customers. Let us know what happened. Are you going to try a replacement CDI?

Old 01-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

That is strange. It shouldnt be weather related since ive had mine submerged and froze over. The whole bike looked like a big ice cube. I havent heard of any bad batches lately but it sounds like you found one. Dyna seems to stand behind there product pretty well. Im sure they will send you a new IMPRESSIVE cdi. Hope it works out quickly for you.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I called Dyna, and talked with Scott?? He acted like this was the first complaint of this nature that he has heard of. I will admit, I am not upset yet, I realize it may be simply a faulty component within the assembly, but I am guessing that these aren't the only two that were made like this, I am awaiting other complaints. The strange part is that it sucked power from the quad so badly that when I plugged the stocker in and jumped on, I almost put 'er through the trunk of my wife's car. This obviously shouldn't be the case. I didn't pay for a CDI that tames this twin cylinder animal for use by 10 year olds. Anyway, I sent the modules back Thursday (Jan 20) and am hoping for 2 butt kicking Dynas to come soon!

Old 01-31-2005, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

I was popping wheelies on mine yesterday. It's my second one. I had one of the earlier units that had the kick back. I sent it back and it took several weeks for the replacment but all is as it should be now. Just don't forget about the reverse limiter removal and to warn anyone else who would ride it. I did an un-planned reverse wheelie in 4X4 once and I hope I never do that again. I still don't know how I managed to get my thumb off the throttle.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

That kinda stuff is why I finally decided to get the dg5 instead. The performance with this module is so close to the cdi but with no problems or jetting. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Rock: lmfao. Wish I had seen it.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have one on all three of mine bought at three different times no problems at all. I did however notice a bigger gain out of the one on the 650 and less of a gain on the 700, I have never even herd of the problems you were having. let us know how it turns out .

Old 02-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just sent mine back today as well. Almost the same issues. Mine would get up to 40 mph though and no knock. I did notice that my exhuast sounded a lot deeper. Kinda like it was boggin out. Spoke to Raymond at Dynatech. Super nice guy. Got the same responce about this being a rare occurrance. The receptionist told me all techs were busy and I was third in line. Had to hold for quite a while. Could be they got some bad parts in our batch. They told me to send it back and I did so. Hopefully we will all be riding around on two wheels real soon. Let me know how your deal ends and I will do the same.

Old 02-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome Joe Prairie.

Do you have a P650 or P700 since the CDI's are different design. I'm interested in the P700 CDI right now, but the one in my trusty '02 P650 runs good.

Quick Reply: Dynatek dissapointment....