Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

MOJAVE/kfx250 BEST 250 4 STROKE ATV

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MOJAVE/kfx250 BEST 250 4 STROKE ATV

Looks interesting Bill, please let us know how it turns out. With all that poser ya might need a longer swingarm, one from a Lakota will bolt right in.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to see or ride a mojave, it too bad kawasaki stop making them cuz i really like them, rolsmojave got to get some new pics up of your bars bet they look sweet.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

When I learned the Mojave was dropped for '05 I was disappointed too. I don't understand why more people didn't buy them? I agree that it wasn't the most popular sport quad. In my town the only Mojaves that I ever saw was mine and the '94 my brother had some 10 years ago. Maybe people thought they were too complicated? The suspension wasn't as pluch as a 300EX but it could handle larger whoops and jumps because it was stiffer with longer travel.

What is weird is that Kawi doesn't offer anything to replace it. I'm sure we will see a green Z 250 next year. I guess e-start, shaft drive, auto clutch and no power is what the market wants.

I bet if Kawi had updated the plastic and installed an electric starter they would have appealed to more people. I like mine just the way it is.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

I honestly have never seen a Mojave on the trail, They are nice bikes and I almost actually got one instead of the kota.
Don't worry boys I have a feeling Kawie has a quad up their sleeve for the budget inclined.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

Is the Lakota swingarm Longer than the Mojave swingarm?? And it bolts right on? Really? Could it be true? That would be nice on the GS425 Mojave.

Let me know if you can.

Here is my 2 cents on a stock Mojave (mine was stock except for K&N jet kit and uni filter)
Pro's
--------
1. Good wheelie bike
2. Excellent bike for riding thru the woods - where there are no trails. I think it is easier to Blaze new trails on a mojave than a yamaha warrior. Wheelbase is about the same as a warrior, but steering is much lighter & less tiring.
3. Bike is geared pretty low and will climb any reasonable hill, and quite a few unreasonable "lets give it a try kinda hills". In my riding group I am the Crash Test Dummy. I will be l saying "lets make the trail go up thru here", and my riding buddies are like "Hell No" . But about 75% of the time we go my route, I make the trail and they learn to ride it.
4. It is a comfortable quad, you can ride it a long time without getting tired. That is nice because I live in Ohio and we have the Wayne national forest trails, and they are long.

Cons
--------------------
1. Kick Start Sucks, this is not the 1960's & 1970's. Its not that I am too lazy to kick, but ever get stuck on the wrong hill and stall out? Also the kick start is no fun when testing and troubleshooting. The worse is if you have been riding in mud and the kickstarted hits you in the Shin after your Foot Slips Off. It just downright simply hurts.
2. The electrical system Sucks, I prefer systems with a Battery. Not enough reseve electric for accessories.
3. Headlight is as bright as a candle, night riding is Horrible. See #2 again.
4. Every time you wheelie back too far and stand it up on the grab bar, the bike is really hard to start. It takes a lot to clear flood the engine sometimes. Another quad can pull start you easy though.
5. Spark plug is hard to change, which is worse on the trail.
6. The engine makes no power at all untill you run the snot out of it. All the power is on the top end. I personally don't like to run my engines at the threshold of the rev limiter. Even if they were built that way.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

You are right about the dismal headlight. A couple years ago I got a quote from Ricky Stator that is ran $100 for a higher output stator.

The power is all on top but that has a lot to do with the stock CV carb. Because it doesn't have an accelerator pump the Mojave isn't very responsive. The plus side is it is hard to stall and the Mojave can putt around very slowly. I regularly take my 2 year old for rides on it just putting along for mils in 1st & 2nd. But for fun trail riding, I do miss the instant response my old 250X had down low. In snow riding the stock Mojave's power is really good because you tend to rev thing out and that is where the Mo likes to be.

I don't mind the kick start but e-start sure is easy to get used to. I suppose in this day and age of quads e-start is expected.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

THat's correct, the Lakota swingarm is 1 inch loonger than the mojave unit. I got mine on ebay for $40, delivered. But be careful when looking as sellers will usually state that a given swingarm for either a mojave or lakota, then you read further and find that it's off of a mojave- while yes it will bolt up, you want one that is actually off of a Lakota. Then you can also use a rear shock from a 250R. I did..

Old 02-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys. This is my first post on atvconnection in a long time! I am currently rebuilding my 2000 Four Strok Tech Kawasaki Mojave 330. It is soon to be a 350cc monster!

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Picture #4

Picture #5

Old 02-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Looks great Lurch! Love the frame what color is that??? is it a zest orange???

Old 02-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

It's not called Zest orange but it does match the maier fenders perfectly (in normal light).

Quick Reply: MOJAVE/kfx250 BEST 250 4 STROKE ATV