Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

off topic - KLR650

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default off topic - KLR650

Tires all depend on what you want to do. The stock tires are really grippy for pavement but tend to wear out fast. Arrowhead Motorsports sells OEM take off tireofr cheap, and shipping in the lower 48 would actually be reasonable.

I bought a set of Kenda (don't remember the #) last year but haven't mounted them. The reason I went with them is because these guys recommended them since they are inexpensive, wear like iron and perform decently. The DSN list is an excellent source of info about the KLR.

For exhaust I've read the Lazer exhaust is the best simply because it doesn't have packing to blow out. It isn't cheap, $500!, so I'm not rushing out to buy one.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I would like to see is a kick starter on these machines. I know they have electric starts, but a backup kick starter would be nice. The KLR650, Honda XR650L and Suzuki DR650SE only have the electric start.

Has anyone ran purely street tires on theirs or lowered their unit so it didn't sit so high. I'm only 5'9" and 170 pounds, but strong. I had a KTM 620 RXC, that thing sat high and I think the KLR is similar height, not that its a problem, but I wouldn't want to be any shorter and have to put my leg over one

Old 02-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Check out these links, pretty handy....

KLR link

The following one has a lowering link you can buy,,,

KLR parts

Old 02-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Good links... thanks BUD

Old 02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The KLR has a 35" seat height so you shouldn't ahve a problem. The lowering links have some drawbacks. It is my understanding that the ride stiffensup because youare altering the compression ratio. If you lower to too far then the rear tire will hit the fender. Lowering the rear also kicks out the fork rake. It won't look like a chopper but you get the idea.

A kick start cannot be fitted to the KLR 650 very easily. The stock parts are out of production or super expensive, can't remeber which, plus you have to change to a smaller clutch basket and retorfit parts from a KL 600. I personally don't think it is worth it but I'm with you, I'd like to have a kick starter as back up.

One of the best things about the bike is that since it has been in production so long, all the bugs are known and fixes can be obtained.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I agree a kick starter would be great, but a new battery everyother year at about $45 ain't no big deal....

As for the kick starter, after my Prairie threw me a year ago, I'm done kick starting......due to injury......my new mantra is, if it ain't got no magic button, I ain't (can't) ridin it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

I've had two of these bikes. My last one had 35,000 on it when I sold it, and it still ran like new. And that's also after crashing into a deer at 55 mph and thoroughly wrecking the thing.

On my newer one (1997), I put the Kawasaki soft luggage on it and take multi-day rides out into Death Valley and the surrounding area. With a 6 gallon tank, fuel is never an issue.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

well, you about have me talked in to it, i'm sure i'd love it, i need to quit putting so many miles on my superduty diesel....oh well....

to Rockrider, when you lower the rear end, you have to lower the front end also, I'm assuming that you cut the springs and take some of the oil out of the forks, not really sure on the whole mod, but i'll research it online....

kick start would be nice, only because here in New Mexico you can ride sometimes on some of our deserted roads and not see anyone for hours, and of course we have alot of dirt roads which you may not see people on for a week or more....would hate to break down out there.....if I plan off-road adventures, I'll do the same as my quad, carry alot of water and necessary survival kit...

thanks for all the info....

Old 02-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

as long as you are not on a dry lake, a small hill, & they do push start fairly easily...

Old 02-18-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

well...bought a new 2005 KLR650 today, raining hard today, so pick it up in the morning....

thanks for all the information....

Quick Reply: off topic - KLR650