Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

off topic - KLR650

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 02:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic - KLR650

I have a 2003 KLR that I bought to ride to Alaska. My previous bike was a 2000 Yamaha R1. These two bikes are about as far apart on the spectrum as one could imagine. I went from a bike with 140hp and cutting edge technology to one with 40hp and a dated design. Taking all of that in to consideration I can honestly say that the KLR is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. It is easy and fun to ride, rain or shine just get on and go, no worries. I put 10400 km on that bike within the first four months I had it. Up to Alaska and back, the only mods were new tires, grips and some lead in the handlebar to quite down some vibration. One day I rode for 12 hours on that bike other days were 8 to 10 hours. A little (a lot) sore on the *** but any bike would be at that point. I highly recomend this bike to anyone that has been following this thread.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

Actually I had a 2002 Hayabusa and the KLR. I believe these are a tad higer on the opposite scale. Funny thing is I still have the KLR and the Hayabusa was sold a bit ago. It was starting to becaome a garage Queen and didn't get ridden like it should have.

Old 06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Crankbender
I have a 2003 KLR that I bought to ride to Alaska. My previous bike was a 2000 Yamaha R1. These two bikes are about as far apart on the spectrum as one could imagine. I went from a bike with 140hp and cutting edge technology to one with 40hp and a dated design. Taking all of that in to consideration I can honestly say that the KLR is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. It is easy and fun to ride, rain or shine just get on and go, no worries. I put 10400 km on that bike within the first four months I had it. Up to Alaska and back, the only mods were new tires, grips and some lead in the handlebar to quite down some vibration. One day I rode for 12 hours on that bike other days were 8 to 10 hours. A little (a lot) sore on the *** but any bike would be at that point. I highly recomend this bike to anyone that has been following this thread.
Hey Crank...the ride to Alaska I've been thinking about. You're alittle closer to start with than myself. How many miles (or KM's) to Alaska from Alberta? I've been thinking about riding from here up to Yellowstone. Is there many gas stations along the way to Alaska, did you carry spare tires, etc? Is there many places to stay along the way? Which way did you go?

dave

Old 06-15-2005, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

If I remember correcly it was about 8000km round trip by the time I was home. There is no problem finding a gas station. It seems there is one every 200km or so at the most. Just don't pass one by if you are in need of fuel. It is all paved exept for where they are doing road construction, I would'nt bring a spare tire unless you plan on off roading it (I did some gravel roads just for kicks). Just make sure your tire is going to last long enough to get you to a major center so you can by a new one. There is LOTS of guys on bikes and you can meet up with someone new every day. I went alone but could have hooked up with lots of people and rode with them. The other motorcycle guys are friendly enough to help you out if you need it.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

which route, roads did you take to get there? is there also alot of places to stay along the way? did you lock up the bike when staying somewhere?

one of these days....want to do it again? i'll meet you up in canada, we can take a different route...

dave