Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

off topic - KLR650

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic - KLR650

Originally posted by: superdman
I had a 1998 Klr 650 and thought what a cool dual purpose bike to have until I took it off road an tried to ride it like it was a kx250! It is great for smooth trails and mild increases in altitude, but don't think for a moment that you are on a capable off road bike. Nice looks, good power and fun to ride in general...I also think it needed a 6th gear as well. I always seemed like I was gonna get another gear (Which never came and felt like it was revving out at 60mph)

I must say that it was relatively easy to sell when I was ready to get rid of it. Within days of putting an ad in the paper it was sold!

Good Luck!
they definitely have a good resale. As far as the highway, I've only had mine out there once, was running 75-80 mph for about 7 miles, no problems since I knew it was going to be revving. it definitely wasn't overly vibrating...it was running about 5300 rpms at 80 mph, but still felt good....i think the couterbalancer was a big help....

I will be doing day rides on it, around the state, maybe further....300 + miles, should be fun.....

I got in the Big Gun exhaust, K&N filter and Dynojet kit, but need to put some more miles on it first....plan is to also add a progressive rear shock and progressive front springs....

Old 02-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a good bike. I would have a put a lowering kit on it.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: travelor
Sounds like a good bike. I would have a put a lowering kit on it.
I don't mind the height. I'm 5'9" and can almost hit both feet flat on the ground, but easy to stop at a light and put my left foot flat, slight lean.

I bought a Big Gun exhaust, got a geal on the race series, so had to order the Vortex Quiet insert and packing. They didn't come in yet, but I installed the exhaust and K&N filter. Started it up....Holy cow....its loud. Have to wait for the vortex quiet core to come in. I mean LOUD...sounds like a Harley with straight pipes....

Should have the core and repack this week, so that will cut the noise from what i've gathered down to about 94 db or quieter....

dave

Old 02-27-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Let us know if it has more power.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Will do....I need to pull the carb and see what main jet it has and then see if there is one in the kit that will work, I didn't order the high altitude kit, I ordered the standard, only difference between the kits is the main jet sizes. I think the standard one will have the one I need, I'll go up a couple of sizes over stock, play with the air mixture jet and put the needle in and go from there. Only problem on the KLR is pulling the carb, not enough room to do it in the machine, maybe the needle, but not the main....

Old 02-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Well, pulled the carb today. Installed the Dynoject kit, basically setup as the stage one and not stage two, only difference is setting on the needle clip and main jet. Either stage 1 or stage 2 will work with the K&N filter and exhaust.

Anyways, I drilled the slide hole and installed the new needle, 3 position from the top, both washers above. I drilled the mixture screw cap and reset at 3.5 turns out from bottom. It was 1.5 turns out from bottom in the stock setting.

I pulled the main jet, it was a 148. I thought it would be much smaller than that. I installed a 140 which was the biggest in the kit. I know KLRs come rich stock and I'm not sure if the Dynojet main jet has the same size comparison with the Keihin CVK main jets.

I installed the K&N filter with prefilter. I'm still waiting on the Vortex Quiet core to come in, but I noticed that Big Gun hasn't charged my CC yet, even though I ordered last Tuesday. I need to quiet it down, way too loud with the Race core. Anyways, I did start it up and just blipped the throttle a few times. Idles smooth and actually seems to start easier with the kit it and doesn't need choke as long. Have no idea on the midrange and topend, will wait til the vortex comes in and then I'll go out and ride it.

I know they make a mixture screw that is setup for harleys, so that you can adjust mixture from the outside without have to put a screwdriver in the hole...it extends out the hole, with a ****. I think I'll pick up one of those....

Anyone know if the Dynojet jets are the same in size comparison as the Keihin's?

dave

Old 02-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

The Dynojet numbers are smaller, size for size than the comparable Keihin jets

Old 02-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: newbeatle
The Dynojet numbers are smaller, size for size than the comparable Keihin jets
So are you saying that a 140 Dynojet could be comparable to the 148 Keihin that I pulled out? They looked close to each other in size of the hole when I looked at them side-by-side....

Old 02-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know the exact comparision, but thats close...

Old 02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: travelor
Let us know if it has more power.
OMG....thats all I can say. I've never put a Pipe, Carb Kit and Air Filter in anything that woke it up so much. Also, I've never put a kit in that I didn't have to take back out and tune. This thing runs awesome. I got the Vortex Quiet Core 2004 in tonight from Big Gun. I put it in, sweet sound. Not too loud, sounds great. I let the machine warm up, took it down the road....

No stumble at low end, just grabs great. Mid range has awesome power and acceleration and top end is even better. The kit helped all the way around. I'll get it out later in the week or this weekend and do a plug check and see how it looks. It could be slightly rich on the main as I get alittle popping when I let off of full throttle. But if it is rich, it isn't by much.

Can't wait to start practicing the wheelies...lol. I came back on the street I live in and hit the throttle just out of the turn, pulled the front end up...granted I was in first gear.

All I have to say is impressive performance...this is going to be a fun little machine...

dave

Quick Reply: off topic - KLR650