Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

NASCAR Prairie 1/10 mile dirt oval races

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASCAR Prairie 1/10 mile dirt oval races

here is an exerp of my report off another forum...

OK... quick one for me... OUCH... ( sprained wrist, on my typing ( hunt & peck hand )... but more on that later )... longer drive than I thought... almost 3.5 hours one way... I just got home... 3:30 am... WAY...WAY past my bedtime... I started the warm up laps with 5 psi in all the tires... & did a warm up for the Pro Am Open class in 2 X 4 things worked out pretty good... I did spin out in turn 2, but attributed that to my inexpirience in circle track racing, with the ATV, & once back in the pit, I learned my outside rear tire was flat... I reinflated it, & went out for the Open Pro class warm up ( 4 laps by the way ), in 4 X 4... this worked much better, as I pulled much harder out of the corners... but when I came in, I had a flat in the same outside rear tire again ( they were mounted on double bead locks )... the guy's told me that the tire was rolling over fully on the side wall & I suppose stretching out enough to leak through the bead lock.... 20 psi in that tire fixed that problem for the rest of the night... not wanting to take any chances, I bumped the outside front to 15 psi, & had no more tire issues the rest of the night... 1st heat in Pro Am open, I placed 4th out of 5 quads, But the anouncer, & nearly everyone in the place had to pick up their lower jaw from the floor, when T-Rex got the holeshot, & held the lead for the whole 1st lap... until I got too wide, & let several through... in the Open Pro heat, I placed 3rd out of 5 quads... one of the quads I beat was a purpose built oval track racer with a 500 quadzilla motor shoehorned into a 250 chassis, & sporting sway bars etc. & with an expireinced driver...

IMO, the last chance qualifier races were just plain crazy all the rest of the quads that didn't qualify for the final race were grouped here, in 1-2 last chance qualifier races, depending on how many quads were in the class ... some races had as many as 10 or more quads... way too many for a track this short... on my Open Pro ( yes they ran this before the Pro Am Open race... running the last chance qualifiers in a different order caused a holy corn fussion in the staging area ) ... I placed 4th out of 8-9 quads, quads were crashing everywhere, & I was litterally running a zig - zag pattern avoiding the pile ups... in the Pro Am Open, last chance qualifier, I wasn't so lucky... on the 1st lap, on corner 2, there was a pile up that happened very quickly, & right in front of me... I pounded the only other Kawi, other than KTM's V Force there ( a KFX 400, all fully decked out for oval racing, that had gotten tangled, & spun out right in front of me )... I hit him hard, at an angle, & bounced up his nerf bar, nearly ripped his front fender off, & drove out with my right side tires going up & over his front tire & suspension... this popped me up into the air 1-2 ft, & I came down hard on the front end ( remember that I litterally had no suspension, with eveything strapped to the "bottom" )... jambing my right hand ( causing the sprain ), & nearly throwing me over the handlebars... some how, my key switch got turned off, during the collision... no big deal... but they had red flagged the race, & restarted... another big pile up, resulted in another restart... ( they will only do 2 restarts per race... after that you are S.O.L. )... another big pile up put me in 3rd place, & charging hard on 2nd place... here is where T-rex decided to perform a new trick, in front of the croud... charging a little "too" hard, I came out of turn 4 with 2 laps to go, & in a full slide sideways, at speed, & in 4 X 4... the tire edges bit, & the quad rolled hard throwing me off... it landed upside down, on the start finish line, sideways across the track, right in the middle of the track... I was Ok, & suprisingly the quad was too ( I don't know how the dino stayed bolted to the scoop, as it had to have had him pinned )... I had to wait for the "survivors" of this race, to pass through ( with me hiding for protecton behind the quad, now on it's side, & ready to flip on it's wheels, after the traffic passed... I got it on 4 wheels, & could find nothing, wrong & finished the race, getting ( I think, 5th out of 9 or 10 starters )... once the pics start coming in, look at the group pic... that is just before we left... there is litterally nothing showing on the quad to tell you how much contact or what had happened during my last race ( absolutely nothing bend or broken )... she's a tough old beast...

I think I did pretty good, since I've never dirt ovaled a quad before, & racing the only utility quad there... I pretty much placed middle of the pack, & never came in last... & always finished every race, even after bashing another quad, & spraining my wrist / thumb, & rolling the quad... this was a blast, but very aggressive & dangerous during the last chance qualifiers... my buddy Andy Was VHS taping my races, & at least one of KTM's, & buddy Dan was taking pics for me... I left my patch cord at work, so I'll post a few pics much later on Sunday... KTM said that he can change over the VHS to digi format for me, so after I veiw the tape later today, I'll send it of to him... STEVE-O's getting pretty good at the pics, & got some frame by frames of my roll over, & of another 500 quadzilla, as well as many others... the bashing of the KFX 400 happened on the other side of the track, & I believe that that got captured on vid...

It was nice to meet LURKER... thank you for driving over & showing your support... I got to finally meet STEVE-O's Dad... I didn't end up getting a formal introduction at the Lodi drags... STEVE-O- thanks for shooting the pics, & good to see you again... your camera is leaps & bounds better than my old 1st generation digi... I look forward to seeing the pics... & KTM... as always, great to see you again... as luck would have it, we didn't get to meet on the track... but, I do look forward to our next encounter, where I'll show you how to do it, again ... lets just make sure it's not a MX... unless of course you want to buy me a set of Works struts 1st...

well... I'm exhausted... nearly fell asleep on the way home, while driving, so I'm sleeping in today... I'll post more later, after I get the patch cord I need...

Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

see if this link works...

STEVE-O- has pics hosted here... look for the feb 12th Farley flat track album... He also has some awesome snowcross pics there

Pics here

Old 02-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

OK... some of the roll over pics are now up on STEVE-O's website