Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Some Polaris 800 people are totally absurb

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Polaris 800 people are totally absurb

Well I am glad to know that I am not the only one who gets sick of hearing all the hype about certain bikes. All bikes of their strong points. One is not truly god over the other. I wish popo people would understand this.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Hey all,
I own a BF 750 and my riding buddy has a sportsman 800. Both machines have thier good and bad points. I don't know why people feel they have to make up crazy numbers and put down every machine but thiers. In my experience the brute is faster, but the polaris rides smoother. The brute has better engine braking, the polaris has better tires. Neither machine can come close to wheeling at 30 mphs, especially stock. I don't think there will ever be a perfect machine, you just have to go with what appeals to you.

Old 03-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

Id have to agree on this topic, I have nothing against polaris, after all there built in my home state, but you would think there is just nothing that would ever compare to one. Despite all the hype, Im pretty sure there is.

Old 03-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Power of any machine is always overrated, either by the builder or the buyer.

After reading about the 800, I was expecting to have my arms dislocated by earth-shattering torque. Not quite. It goes good, when you think about the amount of weight that the motor is pushing, but it's not "earth-shattering". It wheelies off the line, but to pull wheelies @ 30, you'll need some VERY deep pockets...

Same deal when I bought the V-Force. Yeah, it goes good--but not like I had expected.

I remember back in `99 I was working for a bike dealer in AZ, and was awaiting arrival of the then-new Yamaha Road Star 1600. AT the time this was the biggest, baddedst v-twin ever to grace a showroom floor. I couldn't wait to prep this thing and take it out for a RIP!! When I finally got on this beast, I was SURPRISED---surprised at how LITTLE power it had for such a large displacement!!

The write-ups on my DRZ400S were great. When I took it for a ride, I was PISSED. I couldn't even get the front wheel 1mm off the ground by dumping the clutch!! Way too slow for my taste.

Modifications work wonders though. After I slapped on an FMF Powerbomb header/muffler and a Factory jet kit with some airbox mods, this thing would wheelie in the first 3 gears, no clutch--just under power!! Nice improvement.

Back on the original topic about people talking out the wrong hole... I lost count of how many guys would start talking sportbikes, then would lose my interest as soon as: "Yah man, I had my CBR600 on the highway the other day and I hit 170!!"

Right. Seeing that the top speed of an F2 was around 145 to 149, yeah........170 is pretty close!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did you consider the Brute Force 650? This is basically a Prairie 650, but much lower price and new great looks of the Brute Force 750. The Prairie won all the shootouts for the past several years against the Grizzly 660 and Sportsman 700. Even though it is giving up cc's it beat them all in drag races and uphills too.

They are practically giving them away when you can get them including freight and setup (excluding tax and registration) for $5,800. These machines were selling close to $7,000 a few years ago. It is such a good deal I bought one and will be picking it up in the next couple weeks.

I haven't even ridden one, but I am coming from a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4 so I think I will prefer the SRA over independent suspension anyway. I ride a Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle so I am not brand loyal. I just go with the best value that fits my needs and the Brute Force is the best value in big bore 4x4s ATVs hands down.

Anyone agree?

Old 03-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

There is so much hype and talk when a new machine comes out, it just ends up being a disapointment sometimes. You get your self so excited that you really expect to much. But you get a reality check real quick.

Old 03-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure where you are reading about the 800 doing wheelies at 30 mph or outrageous HP ratings, you won't read it over in the Polaris forum.

I've driven the 800, but have an '05 700 EFI. The clutching, exhaust, stroke, etc. are different on the 800, giving it the few more HP than the 700, but some good grunt off the line. I've also driven the 750 BF, its a nice machine, just needs some suspension work.

Doesn't matter what anyone says about any other machine, the best machine for each of us is the machine that we like best. There is no machine out there that is the best at everything. But I always say, the best machine is the one thats planted under your butt....

dave

Old 03-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Did you consider the Brute Force 650? This is basically a Prairie 650, but much lower price and new great looks of the Brute Force 750. The Prairie won all the shootouts for the past several years against the Grizzly 660 and Sportsman 700. Even though it is giving up cc's it beat them all in drag races and uphills too.

They are practically giving them away when you can get them including freight and setup (excluding tax and registration) for $5,800. These machines were selling close to $7,000 a few years ago. It is such a good deal I bought one and will be picking it up in the next couple weeks.

I haven't even ridden one, but I am coming from a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 400 2x4 so I think I will prefer the SRA over independent suspension anyway. I ride a Yamaha FJR1300 motorcycle so I am not brand loyal. I just go with the best value that fits my needs and the Brute Force is the best value in big bore 4x4s ATVs hands down.

Anyone agree?
I do!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Offrdr15,

I see you are coming from a Scrambler to a Brute Force 650. How do you like it in comparison. The Scrambler had a lot of travel, but I thought mine rode pretty rough. It also had less power than I expected with a 400cc two stroke. My buddy had a 500HO and it was pretty much the same speed. Will the Brute Force 650 feel slower or faster than the Scrambler?

Old 03-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

Just google something like polaris 800 horsepower or top speed and you will find yourself searching for a straw so you can still breath you will be in the thick deep poop so far. Really google that it is rediculous. I agree both have good points but some people really overdo things. My .02 cents

Quick Reply: Some Polaris 800 people are totally absurb