Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Overflow Tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overflow Tube

I have gas leaking into my airbox... but none leaks through the bottom of the bowl via the drain hose.

I thought this was an overflow tube... why doesn't gas flow out of it.

If I loosen the drain screw, gas immediately flows from it.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

are you sure it's not oil ??? the oil is a common problem, if slightly overfilled, or powering up steep hills, or prolonged WOT riding... it would, IMO, be difficult to get gas in the filter box...

Old 03-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Overflow Tube

Nope... it is gas. And if fuel shutoff is not turned off and bike is left for a number of days... there is quite a bit of it.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

Lube choke plungers and restretch your choke plunger springs 1 1/2 time normal length. Always shut off your fuel petcock after riding. Additionallly, You need to change your oil & filter.

Happens to a lot of Prairies owners that leave their petcock on after riding. You quad is designed/Engineered so there is a 3 PSI pressure in your gas tank. Leaving gas on with faulty plungers or plunger springs causes your carbs to overflow into airbox & down tha carbs into your oil. Keep a check on your oil site gage. If oil becomes overfilled and or oil smells like gas, aforementioned has happened..

Continuing to ride your quad with gas thinned oil will lead to engine seizure & $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for rebuild.

If under warranty Dealer may lube plungers & replace choke plunger springs wit springs from KLR 650.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

TuffEnuff

Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

Tuff, who told you that the bike is engineered for 3psi of pressure?

I simply removed that crappy filter in the rear and put on a fuel filter so things cant go upstream.

You provide a ton of good info, I am not saying your wrong but who is your source? Maybe I got water in my fuel and that is why i get the slight 40mph bog in low too?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

my tank is freely vented, & been that way for nearly 2 years with no problem... BTW... I have never shut my gas off, even when hauling, & never had a problem with gas flowing into the engine... IMO, it's most of the time related to bad gas / dirt / gum sticking a needle open... I always use Stabil in my gas, use clean plastic cans, buy good quality gas, & just to be safe, installed a see thru in line gas filter... but TUFF is correct, that lots of owners seem to have that problem... but I disagree that 3 psi is desinged into the tank... it may be listed as 3 psi max, but the system doesn't require this pressure....

Old 03-21-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

I did the fuel filter too after the petcock, makes me feel better [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

Plainsman & Newbeatle
Guess you guys have slept since the lengthy discussion back in January on "Is the Praire tank vented? Do A search

DOA Posted:

DOA
Range Rover
Musquodoboit Valley, Nova Scotia

Mon January 31, 2005 8:11 AM

Here's what my kawi dealer/machanic says;

The tank IS pressurized, it's pressurized by 3 pounds even.

I asked why, he said the only reason he can think of is to help keep dirt and water out. He said people have vented them straight out with no problems but he does not do it.

I asked about the beer can effect and he said the valve releases extra pressure and also won't let it below 3 pounds pressure, probably the real reason. Only Kawi really knows why he said and how, he just maintains them. It some kind of two way valve with difference releases.

That is also why the Brute has an automatic shutoff now.

Hope this stops people from thinking there is a problem with pressure in their tanks, when there is none.

She's under pressure, 3 pounds pressure.

May want to PM DOA and he can get you in touch with his mechanic.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Overflow Tube

Hey I even started that thread!

Thanks for the memory jog, no need to rehash. I meant no disrespect. I just wish there was some supporting documentation that said this was supposed to be the case.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Overflow Tube

Thanks for the comments guys...

But back to the overflow tube... where is it and is it the same as the drain tube at the bottom of the bowl. As I mention, I loosen the screw and gas comes out of it, tighten it and no gas comes out of it.

There are other tubes towards the top on the sides of the carb... but I figured they are vent tubes... they are routed up and wraped around a hanger at the base of the gas tank.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Overflow Tube