Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

procedure for oiling the air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default procedure for oiling the air filter

I've owned Honda, Yamaha and Polaris also and none of those did I have to oil (or at least didnt know I should). what's special about Kawasaki that have to oil it?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Some of the Suzuki & Artic Cat Quads require oil filter oiling also. Just depends on the manufacturer.

Several of the Aftermarket air filters require oiling ( K & N, No Toil, Uni-filter, etc)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

I owned a Honda Rancher and that filter needs oiled. The air filters on my wife's Vinson, my daughters' Grizzly 125, and Suzuki LT160 also requiring oiling, as does the filter on my Prairie 650. I believe that all foam air filters require oiling. You should not use motor oil, or wd-40. Air filter oil is much more tacky. You can use spray on, or pour on oil. Cover the entire filter and then work it into the filter. I wear rubber gloves when doing this. Once done, you need to squeeze out the excess oil, let filter dry and then install. When I ride in very dusty areas, I carry a spare filter (already oiled) in a large ziploc bag. One of the quickest ways to ruin an engine is to let it breathe dirt into the top end.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto the above. I carry 2 spares in a ziplock bag for week long rides, say to Utah. I also spray under the airbox lid with white lithium grease, picks up a lot of dirt.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've had foam filters in all my atvs and didnt know to oil them lol. I never had any engine trouble either. heck, my oil didnt even look dirty between changes. guess it's time to start [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 10:18 PM
BKK
Trailblazer

How often do you need to oil the brutes filter.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

i dont know if the bf filters are like the p650/700 but its best to put some high temp grease around the bottom of the filter, where it seals agaings the filter box.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:39 AM
Trailblazer

Heres a neat little trick I learned some time ago that helps with the air intake system (and keeping the air filter clean) there is a lid (obviously) covering your air filter. Well take some Saran Wrap and after you have cleaned your air filter and put it back in put the Saran Wrap over the top of the box your air filter is in then put the lid on. Good way to trap most of the dirt before it even gets to your air filter.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

Spray oils are made for filters such as the K&N, they are not made for the foam filters due to different construction and materials.

If you have a foam filter like the Uni-filter, etc., use 80w-90 gear oil or something heavy. It has to be thicker and stay in the filter and be able to catch the dirt and not let it through. I take a handfull and work it into the filter. I keep rubbing it in until it is completely covered, soaked, but not too thick.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

I run Twin Air foam filters or stock foam filters. Both mfrs recommend foam spray oil.

Quick Reply: procedure for oiling the air filter