Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Rolled my Prairie

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005 | 03:27 AM
|
Range Rover
Default Rolled my Prairie

Did it doin donuts of all things, a group of us were driving to an auction down the road a ways and we were racing on the paved road which turns into gravel. Needless to say I pulled ahead quite a ways and was going to wait for them, so I started doin donuts in the road. I was going to change direction and do a couple more and I was just coming around and the rear end caught the edge of the road and off I went like a cowboy being bucked from a bull. The wheeler ended up on its handlebars and I went flying quite violently into the gravel. I ended up with a nasty gash in my right hand, broken thumb, scraped left hand, knee, elbow. It was a really freaky thing, it happened so dang fast I had no control of how I landed for the most part. I feel so stupid, I have done tons of donuts. If I was gonna crash my wheeler it should have happened while I was doing so many other dangerous things, especially considering what we were doing earlier in the day. My wheeler suffered bent handle bars, the front left rack is bent down, underneath by the fender there is a crack in the plastic. I already bent the handle bars up to good as new. There is just some scraping on top of the diff lock, master cylinder etc., looks to ok though. Could have been worse I guess, I should have been paying closer attention to what I was doing, especially since the gravel was still quite moist and not loose and dry.

Old 04-08-2005 | 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

So did you buy anything at the auction??????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just kidding, I bet the worst part of it was having your friends see you screw up. Oh well it happens to the best of us. Glad your ok!

Old 04-08-2005 | 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah bummer dude!~

I was up at the Oregon dunes a couple years back riding my sister's Polaris 325???. And while doing donuts on the beach with my son,.....I got tossed about 20 feet....Ouch that hurt....no damage except to my pride.

And worse though was my kid stuffed the Warrior into a lake in the dunes....he was hauling a$$ and caught a wheel in the water and it sucked him in........took a while to get all the water out........oooooops/

Old 04-08-2005 | 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

Your preeching to the choir! LOL As for your handle bars they should be replaced due to the reduced strength of the metal from bending them back. The bars may seem fine but the next hard bump or jolt could stress the bar enough to fail again.

I only speak from experience as my bars were bent back and then on my next trail ride they failed (cracked). The worst part was I had to drive 2 hours to get home after only riding 2 hours of an 8 hour day. Murphy's law, things break at the worst time.

Good luck with the war wounds.

Old 04-09-2005 | 04:41 AM
Trailblazer

My second day I had my Brute Force 750 I rolled it down a hill. I was going up a very easy but,steep hill that had a small landing area on top and was straight down on the other side ( picture a dike) so I had to curve up to meet the top the right way when I hit a rock I didnt see, It kicked my quad so it was parallel to the top with my front end in a ditch that pitched my machine downhill when that happened I inadvertantly let off the throttle and guess what, the bastard started to tip over and there was no stopping it. I hopped off the high side after struggling to get it up or down hill,but I couldn't stop the 600+ machine it flipped 5 times sideways down the hill and ended up on its side it took me 15 min. to get it on all fours again (picture a offensive lineman hitting the sleds). Luckily for me it started up after a couple of minutes. The only damaged was a slightly bent rear rack, the handlebars slightly tweaked, and a bruised ego. I almost cried when I Saw my brand new $7500 machine

Old 04-10-2005 | 01:33 AM
Range Rover

Nutsy,I commend you for posting an embarrassing momemt.When stuff like that happened to me I always found myself getting up and looking around to see if they saw me.LOL!!!
Glad to hear that you didn't have that much damage.

lastcall102,every time I get a new cherrish item, the first srcatch goes right threw the heart...then after a good pout!!Then I say to myself,"IT"S NOT NEW ANYMORE"

My first oops on my P650 was a bent front rim,which created one pair of dirty underwear!!!!M/M

Old 04-10-2005 | 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

I flipped my dad's prarie 650 joking around in a field doing about 45. It has mudlites on it and they dont like to powerslide like the holeshots on my warrior do. It caught an edge and WHAM! Needless to say, the Prarie taught me whos boss, and sent me sailing about 20 feet. It flipped about 3 times, once in the air. On its last roll over, one of the racks came down on my foot and bruised it up BAD. I had to flip that beast over limping like Dr. House, by myself. Not an easy task, with what felt like a broken ankle.

The suprising thing about it was, the only damage i did was to the rear rack box. The latches popped open and all of our trail riding gear got scattered all over the corn field. Didnt even bend the bars! I assume that was because most of the flippage took place in the air.

On the birghter side, it makes for a decent story and a tribute to how well built these Praries are!

Old 04-10-2005 | 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

i almsot rolled mine today doing the same thing you did.
i spun around about three times and when i went to come out of it she went up on two wheels and i put my foot out and stoped it.
and last year when i had my arctic cat i was doing doughnuts in the parkinglot where we unload and i caught an edge and it pitched me off and it rolled upsidedown and i was pretty soar for about a week.
my handlebars got pushed down and my rack got a little bent but it made out better then me.
but anyways.
i hope you make a fast recovery.

Old 04-11-2005 | 06:44 AM
|
Range Rover

Well, I actually put some bids on some Amish women, just kidding. The auction was at a Amish farm, they were selling some good horses, could of had some for around $300-$350. Did not stay long though, had to get back to tend to my wounds. This darn gash on my palm is taking forever to heal, I always do somethin to break it open, like 4 wheelin! Bent my rack back up on Sat. looks good as new, the pressure on the crack is now relieved and is sitting nice and flush, will put a couple of self tapping screws just to give it some strength. Handle bars are good and tight, loosened them and put them forward a bit cause the column was pushed down some and it felt too low when driving around, plus it was impossible to get my airbox lid open all the way. All in all it is hard to tell that anything happened from 10 feet away. If I crash it this summer I will just have to put a claim in if it is damaged too much. Although these things sure do take a beating...

Old 04-11-2005 | 01:34 PM
Range Rover

Just got back a few hours ago from the MRI I had this morning to check out my shoulder. Was doing a big powerslide last weekend on my BF750 and tucked the left front wheel in. Bucked me off real good and I hit the dirt, left shoulder first. Nothing broken, but messed up my rotator cuff. Has improved greatly every day though, so I don't think it's anything too serious (lucky!). These things are just so much fun that they make me act like a little kid again!!!

Quick Reply: Rolled my Prairie