Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Primary Clutch Seperation problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Clutch Seperation problem

I sent my clutch down to the dealer to have them seperate the movable & fixed sheeves apart
on my primary so I can replace the bushings & spider.. They cant get it off, they have heated it
up & still no luck, they even busted one of the fins on the rear of the clutch they pried so
hard (2ft extension) Anyone had this problem?? if so any solution, I thought about cutting the spider off but
I dont think I can get to the bushing still, any help would be appreciated

Old 04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

If they broke the fin your clutch may now be out of balance?

Old 04-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I left you a post on another site hope it helps.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

I had the dealer do the same thing but I was lucky and mine came apart.....they do know it's a lefty I hope???? The manual says to torque it to 205 ft lbs so it's tight! I have to say that if the fin is broke I would have reservations about using it now......there absolutely could be a balance issue.I ended up buying the inner sheave.When I took it back to the dealer the were trying to get to the 205 mark and the shaft the spider screws on actually twisted inside the inner sheave.The part is $220.00 if i remember right.When the part came in I talked the dealer into loaning me the tools so I could do it myself.He agreed..I just left him a deposit.When I tightened mine I only went to 160 ft lbs.I did not want to risk twisting it again! I think since it has left handed threads it should not be able to come loose.Thats been 150 miles ago and all is well.BTW....there are three diff outer covers also....
02 650 camo

Old 04-13-2005, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

As far as the broken fin goes, Its not that big of an issue if you even it out. Where the fin is broken take a small grinder and grind it down flush, then on the EXACT opposite side grind it down flush as well. I would even consider doing all sides. Like if your looking at a clock, grind 12,3,6,and 9. This will loose some rotational mass and may even help performance.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the dealer is not using the Kawasaki special tool. No reason anything should be busted once your clutch was inserted in the holderr and the spider tool used to unlock the spider. Spider has left hand threads (Dealer should know that). Also if dealer busted it, dealer should fix it or replace it. Contact Kawasaki Area Rep if needed.

TuffEnuff[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 04-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

well I actually got it off last night, all I did was give all 4 courners of the spider a medium wack, & then gave it 3 good wacks & it came right off, there is no sign of
damage or rust on the threads, I think they were turing it the wrong way, but they insist they knew it was left hand threads & that is the way they were
trying to get it off, so now I have a broken fixed sheeve, I"m going to try & negotiate some sort of deal with them, well just have to see if they will
admit to any wrong doing [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]