Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Degreeing in a new cam...why and how???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Degreeing in a new cam...why and how???

I have seen different aftermarket cam makers with instructions on how to degree in a new cam and it seems that most of them recommend doing this for their cams. However, I spoke with Mike P. last year about whether its necessary to use a degree wheel for his cams and he said no. I have installed stock v-force cams on my P650 and did not use a degree wheel and it worked just fine. I also recently installed some Hotcams without using a degree wheel (but have not yet cranked the motor to see how it runs).

Can someone please give me a general explanation of the benefits of using a degree wheel on new cams for a Prairie 650/700. Also, how do you make adjustments to cam timing using the degree wheel? Basically, I've seen some instructions on how to use a degree wheel, but I don't understand how this process is done and what you are trying to accomplish. Any thoughts?

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 04:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

degreeing a cam is setting it advanced or retarted from 0 degrees. Some cams come with the advance/retard ground into them so all you have to do is install them straight up. If the cam in question does not have the advance or retard ground into it, then you will need to manually advance it or retard it using a degree wheel so you can see how much you have changed it. All this is done simply because that is how the cam was designed and is how it needs to be installed. That is how we do it in car engines anyway haha.

edit: Also, I think one of the trick things people have been doing to the YFZ450's is to advance the cams 1 tooth, so yet another example of degreeing a cam in the quest for more performance.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ManicHaze
degreeing a cam is setting it advanced or retarted from 0 degrees. Some cams come with the advance/retard ground into them so all you have to do is install them straight up. If the cam in question does not have the advance or retard ground into it, then you will need to manually advance it or retard it using a degree wheel so you can see how much you have changed it. All this is done simply because that is how the cam was designed and is how it needs to be installed. That is how we do it in car engines anyway haha.

edit: Also, I think one of the trick things people have been doing to the YFZ450's is to advance the cams 1 tooth, so yet another example of degreeing a cam in the quest for more performance.
Thanx for the reply!

happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]