Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

mojave starting/electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005 | 10:50 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default mojave starting/electrical problem

helo, im new to the forum. i have an 89 mojave that i bought as a basket case. (probably should have bought a running one) i have the atv all together and have ridden it around the yard a few times. the problems that i still have are erratic starting, it was starting on the second or third kick, always needs the choke no matter the temp. i wonder if starting it a bunch of times over the course of a couple of months but not letting it get hot could foul the plug? also if i get it to start now if i turn the headlight on it stalls like i shut the kill switch off. if i rev it a little and turn it on it will stay running but as soon as the rpms come down it stalls. any ideas?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2005 | 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am haveing that same problem...altho mine is a 97 Lakota. I just discoverd the problem today and i beleive what it is doin is running off the battery. I tried to turn my headlights on today and when i did moter stalled back fired etc etc and head lights stayed dimm, also i noticed the power pulled from my neutral light. The peice i think i need im not sure of the name now but acts like a alternator on a car. This may be your problem too.....my push button start will not even work. If anyone has any different opinions or even know the name of the part im speaking of..please reply..lol.

Old 05-22-2005 | 10:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok the peice i was thinking of is referrred to in the Generator part of the 4 wheeler. It is called the Stator. Then again it could be any one part of the generator system as well, such as the Rotor, Voltage Regulator, Ignitor or Pulseing Coil. And of course all that i have found have been over 200 bucks.

Old 05-22-2005 | 01:49 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ive been working on this thing all day, i think maybe its the coil. i went to check the wire and it looks like someone used jb weld or something like it to hold the wire in the coil. as far as the light goes it appears some jackass (possibly me) hooke one of the wires to the ignision wires (the key switch is unpluged). as soon as i get the spark back i ready to see what theese things ride like. this is my first 4 wheeler, ive always ridden dirt bikes. this should be fun. as long as im writing this has anyone eleminated the air box and used a clamp on filter? man that thing is a real pain. it seems too short to hook up right, and when it is on it blocks everything. thanks for your response. thanks bryan

Old 05-22-2005 | 01:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

i forgot to say that there is no spark now when i remve the plug and kick it over, i took the same plugand hooked it to the wire on a little honda we have and i could see good spark.

Old 05-22-2005 | 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Before makeing any drastic decisions as to buying a new coil (lol)...try pulling the cap off the plug wire ..not the spark plug but the plug cap at the end of the coil wire ...and stick it close to your sparkplug head with spark plug still in the motor and crank it to see if you have a spark between the actual coil wire and the spark plug head. I had a similar situation with my 4 wheeler (and like you i have always been dirt bike and my first 4 wheeler) but i had a bad connection between my coil wire and plug cap. Simply fixed by spliceing the coil wire a little and putting the plug cap back on. Hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2005 | 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

My 01 Mojave is having the same problem, WEAK SPARK. I got my coil checked and they said it was fine, so insead of risking $300 on a Stator or CDI, I took it to the dealer. After looking at it for 2 weaks, they can't figure it out, so they had to risk it and order a stator. I will find out next week if its right.

Jeremy

Old 05-30-2005 | 11:06 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

first thanks for the replies. sorry so long to reply but i work out of town alot. before i left i ordered a coil from ebay 25.00 including shipping. i put it on and it started on the second kick. i would bet it was the wire because it looked like it was epoxyed in. im looking forward to taking it riding for the first time.the last time i tried to take it it started when i put it on the trailer, started when i drove it off the trailer then i shut it off to unload everything else and it would not start back up. i messed with it all day but could not make it run. i hope i have better luck this time. also i hooked the light up right this time and it works fine.

Old 06-04-2005 | 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

Yea, mine was the stator too. I called the dealer today adn they had just gotten it in and put it on and it started right up, so I'm going to get it in the morning.