Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Anyone here like their KFX700? Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here like their KFX700? Need some opinions

I currently own a 2K5 Predator Troy Lee Edition. First let me say that I do like it (now that the weather isn't as muddy, I am still getting a Sportsman for the spring riding), but the one thing that bugs me during trail riding is shifting. I have ridden motorcycles for years and driven stick shift cars, but shifting on this quad is killing me! One of my friends told me to look up the KFX 700. It seems like a very impressive machine and I like the fact that it is a automatic. Does anyone have any experience with one? How do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? Does it like the muddy stuff sometimes? Any opinions would be great, everyone I ride with has Honda & Polaris. I know that Kawasaki bikes aren't the best in the biz (I have always ridden Honda, knew lots of kids with Ninjas that had tons of problems) Post any info that might influence me to buy this bike!

Old 05-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer

The KFX700 is a very fun ride, it takes to the mud better than any sport quad I know of...and it has been nothing but reliable. The V-Twin is very torqy and the automatic is probably the best in the biz, and very tunable. The best thing I can say is go ride one, you will notice it is very different from what you'd expect. The 516lb weight is high, but you'd be suprized at how light it feels. Though, if you want something you can toss around like a hackey sack, then you will be disappointed in the heavy weight. I am 6'2' 210 and I have no problem slinging it around, but for a smaller person they might not like it to be that heavy. For bigger guys, the V is the perfect ride. I dont feel near as comfortable on any other sport quad. Some of its high points are its really good ground clearance and auto tranny. And the cons would obviously be the weight, and the size. Also some find the range to be short but I can ride for quite a while before having to fill up. Aside from that, you can always upgrade to the 4.6 tank and if the suspension is a little rougher than you'd like, aftermarket shocks are available. Again, the best thing is to go ride one. I love my V-Force and it fits me perfectly.

Hope this aids in your decision making.

-Ross

Old 05-29-2005, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Johnnyz71, Im also in the same boat and would love to get a V and sell the Preddy

Old 05-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Just rode a friends predator this weekend at his home made track. In comparing it to my V, I will say the biggest differnce is the handling of the predator vs. the V. IMO the predator is an excellent handling machine much better than the V. However, you cannot beat the V's instant acceleration(sp?). properly tuned with pipes and air box mod. It is instant satisfaction. Like riding a rocket! The predator I rode, seemed to lack the power of the V. I really enjoy not having to constantly shift. Basically the way I look at it, you can concentrate more on the terrain and less on what gear your in. I just wish the V was lighter. If so It could very well be the perfect quad.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

The V is a fun quad.... Great play bike..... I installed hmf pipe's. A Dalton clutch kit. And did some air box mods. Re-jetted 160/165.... It runs pretty good now. But I to wish it weighed a little less... When it comes to the sport quads, she's the fattest girl at the dance...

Old 05-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny, what is the prob with the clutch? There are a few things you can do to make life easier. Hit up Avon Cycle Joint and get a RTC clutch lever, this makes a huge difference in clutch pull. You could pick up a new (smaller) front sprocket that will give you a bit more torque down low. This will be better for climbing hills etc. Also, an exhaust tuned for low/mid range power will help you pull higher gears with less clutch work. I know my brothers bike requires a lot less clutch work and pulls 3rd in places where I have to downshift and can only pull 2nd. He just installed an HMF full exhaust, K&N airfilter, and a CDI. I believe the big difference by far has been the exhaust though.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Scooter,

The trail riding is just a pain with the clutch sometimes. Going through streams, going up the hills, down the hills. My buddy has a Raptor 660 and he complains about the same thing. It all depends on what trials we are riding, but it just starts to kill my left hand after about an hour. The clutch seems so sensitive too, if you aren't going fast enough in 1st, it just stalls right out. I love the quad now that the weather isn't so muddy and wet, I just wish sometimes it were an automatic. The KFX 700 does seem impressive though, I wouldn't mind next year selling mine and finding a leftover and hopefully making it an even upgrade. Then I get a leftover '05 Sportsman 700 or 800 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you don't mind loosing a little topend speed, trying a one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket will help with the low speed stalling and you should be able to pick one up for $15. The RTC clutch seems to be about the best to reduce force needed to pull the clutch in. It is a big help but maybe a touch pricey at about $50 give or take. Both are real easy to install yourself. Actually, a new clutch lever is probably my next mod[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Trailblazer

Scooter,

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into it.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

from what i undestand the kfx 700 is an AUTOMATIC sport quad.. now to me that seems stupid because it would get blown away by other quads like preddy, and raptor because of that tranny... and its 2wd.

Quick Reply: Anyone here like their KFX700? Need some opinions