Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

It Works!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It Works!!!!

Got my new .380 cams dialed in!!! It runs like a scalded cat!!!!!!!!!! Was pretty worried because how the manual talked about the cam chain tensioner and all. But I put the oil in, reconnected the gas to the carburetor and it fired! I am so stoked! Just had the opportunity to run it around the block a couple times and take out a few front lawns, but man I need to get me to a track!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2005, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Works!!!!

Awesome, I'm really wanting to do the .380 cams but I've heard they don't really increase actual HP? People say they only change the power delivery. Be sure to let me know how it does after you get some good riding time. If they make a power difference I'll certainly go for them.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

What brief time I had on the chassis- that's right, no seat or fenders for this test. I was expecting a big hit and to almost get thron off the bike. None of that happened, the power was very similar, more all over and a top end a good deal further out there. When they say aggressive play cam, that's just what it is. Go with'em brother, ya won't be disappointed! Just don't forget the KLR CDI box while you're into it.

Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

i got the .420 mid-top race cam from cwr for my lakota and i too expected a instant hit of power in 3rd and 4th gear but its nothing like that......the power is more spred out and smooth like but it still does pull alot harder and their was deffinatly a very notciable diffirence and even thou its a mid to top cam it added to my bottom end power a bit also.......all in all i love my engine setup from cwr and i still got some real nice bottom end power even with the 14tooth sprocket and the power on top end is amazing and i could spank some crf150s pritty badly which gets my buddies pissed off when i beat them cuz the small size of the lakota is deciving..........and kwackermann id put ur stock air box back on because i put a pod on when i got my engine back from greg expecting more power and all i got was trouble.....about 4 weeks after i got the engine back i did a compression chekc and i only got a reading of 120 psi so i called up greg and he said "well do you have a clamp on filter" and i said yup and he told me that the clamp ons cause a loss of air flow(that would explain why my kota was running extremely rich) and compression loss so shure enough i put the air box back on and i gained 20 psi and my plugs were no longer getting carbon fouled and are a nice tan color and i could notice a power gain as well so now i could just hope i could burn all the carbon build up off the pistion and everything

Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

Hmm, wow- really? Not saying that yer all wrong, holshotz, I just find it really hard to believe about the pod filter actually restricting air flow. I have a UNI, foam type. What brand did you run? K&N? This is OK though, I still have the airbox and can pirate the new filter from my dads Lakota[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. MAybe I'll got with some .405 cams just for kicks, I have a spare mojave engine in the shed that I can cobble stuff from.....

Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

nope the k&n clamp ons were too costly just for me to experiment with to see if i liked the setup so i got a 2 stage 6 inch long UNI pod which is like a regular pod but has a outer skin almost like a prefilter and when i took the outer skin off and ran it with just one layer it ran a little better but it was still fouling plugs on me. if and when you put your stock air box back leave off the snorkel tube that runs up to behind the headlight because that will alllow some more air flow but you could keep it on of course if you plan on going thru deep water. For me i have plenty of proof that the clamp on's are no good and that they flow less because when i had my clamp on filter installed and i was running it with the inner layer only my lakota was running way rich and fouling plugs like crazy even after playing with the air screw and jetting and the plugs were really black and it was smoking a little bit of black smoke........the minute i started my kota with the stock air box no more smoke so i pulled the plug and like i said before it was a nice tan color meaning the jetting was right on so if the plug went from black with the clamp on to tan with the stock air box it means the stock air box leaned everytihng out quite a bit so that shows it must flow quite a bit more

Old 07-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

Ouch! Just remembered that the 400ex carb is a good deal bigger than the stocker, so going back to the stock box is outta the question pretty much. I have noticed that I am running a good deal rich, according to the plug but not fouling, possibly because it's a SplitFire. WEll- I'm gonna do some juggling and I'll let ya know what I come up with..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

give greg a call and ask him if the adapter for his 36 or 38mm carb kit that allows useof the stock air box will work on your 400ex carb

Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default It Works!!!!

Hmm, great idea. I'll give greg a jingle.............