Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou Starting Problem

I have a 1995 Bayou 300 4x4 and went to start it today with no luck. With the key on and in the start position I cannot get the nuetral light to go on, even when its in nuetral and rolls free. Also, I was able to pull start it and get it running for a bit however the carb was gunked up so I had to stop it and pull the carb and clean it. I also put a fresh spark plug in it while I was at it. The battery is charged and I just have no idea what it can be. All of the fluids are fresh as well.

What should I check? I feel the not starting has something to do with the nuetral light not coming on as it will not even crank when i push the START button.

Please, hopefully someone has an answer for me. All comments are greatly appreciated and I hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou Starting Problem

Always start with the basics. 1st Get/order you a shop manual.

In interim, check battery state of charge (Voltage), Bulb, fuse(s), fuse holder, and all battery & battery fuse, connections, and grounds.

Try holding the brake lever(s) & see if it makes a difference

Check Fuel petcock, flush old gas, & ensure FRESH fuel is flowing in the run & reserve position. Check/clean your airfilter. Spray a couple bursts of Either in airbox, Full choke it & try starting. Once you get it started, warmed up, choke off, Rev it up 3/4 throttle and spray 1/4 can Carbureator cleaner through carb.

1 drop of water in the bowl, gummed up main and or pilot jet will prevent it from starting. Some bikes also have a neutral safety switch, shop manual will tell you.

Happy trails.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]