Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Making wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making wheel spacers

Hey guys, I was looking at the price of wheel spacers for my BF and notices how outragous the prices are.

I asked a guy at the shop at work to make some, and he said no problem. The problem is, I can not find any stud extenders anywhere.

I know there has got to be a place online that sells them, but where? Also, some people dont like stud extenders, why?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Youve got a good friend. I was going thru this same issue awhile ago, and figured it would take at least 65 bucks of my time to fabricate them, and thats not counting the raw materials, like the aluminum , or the studs. Ive found some good wheel spacers in the 65 buck range, so i didnt make them. They are at rocky mountain atv.
The reason the stud extenders arent a good idea, especially on a 4x4, is because of the leverage, that is applied to them. Shorter is better, ....think of trying to snap a 1 inch long pencil, compared to a 6 inch long pencil, and youll get the idea.
Check out this article on wheel spacers, and have your friend make a set that looks like and uses the ideas of these. There are 4 new studs in the spacer, and 4 nuts hold the spacer to the hub, using different holes. The new studs can be bought at the dealer or online, and they just are a press fit in the spacer. Tell your friend the hole patterns need to be concentric, to each other, as this is how they locate.
spacers

Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks man, I knew the longer stud was going to be weaker, but wasnt sure if it was enough to worry about or not.

I think for 65 it woudlnt be worth the trouble of drawing the spacer on autocad and downloading it onto the CNC like I was going to.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

The longer pencil theory only works if you are talking about loose wheel studs. Once tightened they are not subjected to same forces . Its a sheering force instead of a bending force. Stud extenders work very well if installed corectly where the problem usually occurs.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

I figured once the studs were tightened, then the nuts were tightened over the wheel, the weight would be dispersed more on the hub than the studs.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

That is correct.
I have made a few wheel stud extenders to replace worn ones. Ive found the easiest is to cut a piece of rod material and drill and tap fully through. The use a stud on one end and your done. Ive also made them from one piece of material on my lathe but that takes much more time.