Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Open Airbox Idea for P650/P700...what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open Airbox Idea for P650/P700...what do you think?

Originally posted by: asnowmobiler
I just added a 2nd snorkel to my 700, I changed the main jets to 145/147.5, it feels like it's running very strong but I did not line it up with my buddys yet. I'm going to shim my needles a little,it does not stumble at all but I hear a very small amount of popping at low speeds. I also have the NAPA hose on the other side,DG5,exhaust mod and a 6deg key.
What did you use to connect the 2nd snorkel to the airbox? Did you find some kind of plastic PVC or ABS piece or simply glue the edge of the snorkel to the new hole in the airbox.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone care to post the easiest way to get the carbs off (if needed) or a procedure to jetting?
I know that you take the bowls off and change jets, but I havnt even seen these carbs yet.. I have just been riding it for the 2 hours that are on it so far.
When I had my YFZ there were many videos that you could download free with instructions/tutorials on how to do repairs/mods.
Anythign like this?

Old 08-05-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DonEX400
Anyone care to post the easiest way to get the carbs off (if needed) or a procedure to jetting?
I know that you take the bowls off and change jets, but I havnt even seen these carbs yet.. I have just been riding it for the 2 hours that are on it so far.
When I had my YFZ there were many videos that you could download free with instructions/tutorials on how to do repairs/mods.
Anythign like this?
Yes, go to Nyroc's website at atv.dnsalias.com (don't use "www"). His site has TONS of Tech Tips for Prairies including instructions and pics. Best advice I can give on changing the main jets is to be prepared for the 8 stock bowl screws to strip out...so be sure to use a good, sharp screw driver and work slowly. I had 2 of my 8 screws strip the first time I did it...also, go buy 8 replacement screws at lowes/home depot with allen heads. That way you can avoid this problem in the future.

To change or adjust the needles, you will need to remove the airbox and not necessarily remove the carbs. To change main jets, you don't have to remove the airbox or the carbs unless you just want to.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Trailblazer

I found a screw together pipe fitting at Lowes,I can't think of the name right now but it's with the sink drain parts. I used a 2in hole saw to cut the hole,if you can find one that is just a little bit smaller it would be perfect,it still was not a problem,I just caulked it up a bit then used three 45* fitting to route it up to the same height as the other snorkel.I did cut the top one to make it the same height.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: 95wolv
Scooter,
While most sport quads ( my Wolverine included) have similiar carbs, they are mechanical slides,moved by the throttle cable, some utility and sport/utility use a vacuum acutated slide for smoother response under load, the cable opens the carb, but the vacuum difference between the engine and the intake creates a pressure difference on a diaphram that raises/lowers the slide. If you remove too much of the restriction of the air box, it takes longer to build up the pressure difference, so the slide moves slower/less, and performance suffers. It is a fine line to get the air flow for better performance without creating carb problems. Unlike a standard carb, you can't just yank the airbox on a cv carb and rejet for more power, you need that pressure difference to make it all work. Lid mods are your best bet, keeping the airbox nearly intact will help keep the throttle response sharper while still letting you get some more performance.
Hey, thanks for the info! Kind of sucks for you ute guys that way though. Personally, I prefer a bit more longevity out of my motor than the extra power, so I usually just put a few holes in the ole lid anyways. Worst case scenario, you can always cover the holes with a little 200mph tape if you come to a mudpit/water crossing.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: asnowmobiler
I found a screw together pipe fitting at Lowes,I can't think of the name right now but it's with the sink drain parts. I used a 2in hole saw to cut the hole,if you can find one that is just a little bit smaller it would be perfect,it still was not a problem,I just caulked it up a bit then used three 45* fitting to route it up to the same height as the other snorkel.I did cut the top one to make it the same height.
Thanx for the info...Is that screw together pipe that you found at Lowes made out of some type of plastic (PVC or ABS) or is it another type of material (metal or rubber)? That info may help me locate it at Lowes if I decide to go that route.

Old 08-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Trailblazer

It's white pvc,it looks like this.http://www.lascofittings.com/files/C...mages/D113.gif
I could not find anything at Home Depot,they may have it????? they where in boxes obove the sink drain parts.

Make sure that you do not mount it to low in the box,if you do it will need to be removed to get the filter mount cage off next time.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Asnowmobiler,
Thanx for the pic...now I understand what you did. Looks like a good plan...if I don't cut holes in the lid or remove the lid altogether, then I may try your technique.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

i ran my p700 without the lid with 170-175 mains and hmf slip on most noticeable improvement was on top my buddie has a stock p700 with 26' and i had 27's also i weigh a 100lbs more he would pull me out of the hole by 1 length then around 45 i would storm by pulling about 4 lenghts before we shut down now i'm woundering what to do on the bruteforce?

Old 08-06-2005, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

**FastFatBoy,
Thanx for the feedback! Tonite, I decided to do some experimenting with my extra lid...I drilled nine 1" holes in it...very similar to your lid I guess. I am now at stock main jets (Kehin 138/142) and will try the modded lid with this same jetting (I expect it to be way too lean)...after that, I plan to jump 2 sizes bigger on the mains (Kehin 145/148), and also adjust the needles...then I'll see how it goes from there. My main concern now is that running it without the lid would have a negative effect on the slides (won't operate smoothly/properly) b/c they are vacuum actuated and need at least a little backpressure as mentioned above...so thats why I decided to give the "swiss cheese lid" mod a try for now.

**RulingTheRoost,
Thanx for your feedback as well. Wow...you were mighty rich without the lid! I'm wondering if running without the lid may have hurt your bottom end performance...but making up for it at the top end. In any case, good luck with modding the BF airbox...I understand its a totally different design, so I have no idea what you should try. Good luck to you on that.

Quick Reply: Open Airbox Idea for P650/P700...what do you think?