Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

kfx400...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kfx400...

hey ive got an 03 kfx. i just recently started riding it mx...i think im thru trashing it by stunting it and the sort, now im ready to trash it on the track! haha. ive got some mods i want to do.
1) exhaust...what is an all around good exhaust. ive been leaning toward the yoshi...but i do not like the price haha.

2)motor mods...how difficult is it to put a new intake and exhaust cam in? how difficult is it to put a big bore in, ive seen them being sold as direct bolt ons, but i was jw how hard it really is to install. ive installed big bore kits on 50s but i know this is more than likely completely different.

3)suspension...what does everyone recommend? i like the elka...but damn, EVERYONE has it. i guess because its the best.

anyways, im open to suggestions on all performance add ons for the kfx. holler!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default kfx400...

1-Exhaust either get a yoshimura,sparks,or lrd full systems.All of them are really good exhausts and you get awesome hp gains with them.Yeah there kinda expensive,but you get great performance.
2-Motor mods are not hard to do yourself if you have a service manual and it shows you step by step.If you don't know something,then stop and make sure its done right,but you should be able to do it yourself.
3-Suspension get elka if you can afford it,everyone has it,because its pretty much the best.If not then look at works performance shocks,there pretty decent also.

Make sure you get a gussit kit or something for your frame,because you don't want your frame to break.Mx is very hard on your machine.

Hope this helps..Good luck.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default kfx400...

what is a gusset kit? ive never heard of them...kinda newb to the whole mx scene.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default kfx400...

A gusset kit is like metal that goes on all the weak spots on the kfx frame,but you need a welder to melt the metal in all the spots.There is like 13 spots on the frame that needs it.I believe some of the gusset kits tell you where you need them and the kits aren't to expensive,like $70.

Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default kfx400...

I just put the Yoshi comp series (full pipe) on my 2003 Z400. Rocky Mountain ATV has them for just under $400.00 and I also put on a K&N w/outerwear with the Pro-design adapter plate which I highly recommend so you don't get dirt in where the filter attaches and I took the airbox lid off. You can get the Pro-design adapter and K&N filter in a kit for about $110.00 at rocky mountain atv and the dynojet kit is about another $50.00. (I think I put in a 142 or 147 but I'm running it at about 5000 feet. It made a HUGE difference at the dunes. I was already using a 13 tooth front sprocket (stock is 14) and I picked up a gear in the dunes. It revs up quicker and added lots of torq on the low and mid range. I like the sound better than most pipes - it's not obnoxious but still sounds cool. Also for about $30-$40 you can get the quiet insert that brings the sound down to 93 decibels which I think is legal anywhere including the oregon dunes (I ride mostly at Little Sahara, UT and Coral Pink). Bottom line is for about $600 it wakes up the Z alot and is soooo much more fun to ride (just be careful, it will wheelie alot easier - it caught me off guard a couple of times coming over a slight rise in 3rd and punching the throttle and pulling back on the bars slightly).

Old 08-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer
Default kfx400...

i have been looking at the alba exhaust kit...it comes with silencer, header, jets,k&n filter,outerwears, and a kit to run without an airbox...i ve been looking at that because of the price, i think its $460 for the entire kit

motor mods are really not as hard as some people think

for suspension i like fox shox

Old 08-19-2005, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default kfx400...

I would check the K&N it comes with. The stock replacement K&N can be bought for about $40.00, the Prodesign which includes an adapter plate and clamp is around $110.00 give or take depending on the bike. If it doesn't come with the adapter plate and a clamp to keep it on then it is more likely to come loose or allow dirt to get in the carb/engine since it may not seal as well as the adapter plate/clamp setup. It is a little more but worth the peace of mind.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default kfx400...

Foam filters are the way to go under dusty conditions, but you can get a way w/ K&N on a well waterd track.
But get a UNI air filter, trust me!