Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KFX400 or 700?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 02:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX400 or 700?

Originally posted by: Doctorturbo
ajd187 for me to answer your question I'm going to have to know what you are going to do with your new quad. Trail ride? Dunes? Open fire roads? MX? Big jumps?
I have a V and love it. It seems to me the things I don't like to do my V does not like to do either. Like jumping. If you like to jump I personally would get something light.
Tell us what you are going to do with your quad and we can tell you about these quads.
It will be mostly trails, open fields, and snow in the winter. There are no dunes around here (I'm in upstate NY).

I'm not big into MX or jumping. Not adventourous enough for that.

I want to be able to keep up with my friends that ride Banshees and YFZs on the trails. Basically I want something with power that is fun to ride and that doesnt' require a ton of maintaince.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX400 or 700?

It also depends on what kind of riding you will be doing. If you are into jumping and track riding, get the 400. For everything else get the 700. You also mentioned you wanted a machine that was going to be easy to maintain. The 700 is very easy, no chain to mess with and I have never had to do anything with the clutch so it is pretty much simple to maintain. They are both fast, fun to ride, and very comfortable machines.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KFX400 or 700?

The 700 is a great all around bike. I think it fits the Big and Tall rider . Its pretty nice riding a Quad w/a V-Twin. With Duals,and primary spring ($29) changed, its faster than the 400s, and the 660s. And yet still the best on trails out of the other sport quads out their(Auto Tranny) Just my $0.0
It might be faster in that form with the mods only if the KFX400 was stock. Put a pipe and jet kit on the z400 and it's going to walk right up on you. Stock for stock they are close enough where it might come down to rider ability or rider weight. And that z400 engine really comes alive with mods so I doubt the 700 would stay ahead at all.

As far as which one to choose it all depends on your preference. My Father loves his KFX700, but he's mostly ridden Polaris machines up untill the Kawie. He loves a CVT trans, and to him the thing is light and smallish.

Compared to my KFX400, the 700 feels HUGE, and I personally HATE not having gears to shift, and I HATE the fact that the thing does not roll at all with that compression braking. However people who like the CVT transmissions love the KFX700, and my guess is that with the compression braking you might never have to replace the brakes. They also have shaft drive for low maintenance.

Really the two machines can't even be compared in the conventional sense, they are so different. After all one of them is a Suzuki and one is a Kawasaki, so they are more different than they are the same right off the bat.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default KFX400 or 700?

Originally posted by: ss97
The 700 is a great all around bike. I think it fits the Big and Tall rider . Its pretty nice riding a Quad w/a V-Twin. With Duals,and primary spring ($29) changed, its faster than the 400s, and the 660s. And yet still the best on trails out of the other sport quads out their(Auto Tranny) Just my $0.0
It might be faster in that form with the mods only if the KFX400 was stock. Put a pipe and jet kit on the z400 and it's going to walk right up on you. Stock for stock they are close enough where it might come down to rider ability or rider weight. And that z400 engine really comes alive with mods so I doubt the 700 would stay ahead at all.

As far as which one to choose it all depends on your preference. My Father loves his KFX700, but he's mostly ridden Polaris machines up untill the Kawie. He loves a CVT trans, and to him the thing is light and smallish.

Compared to my KFX400, the 700 feels HUGE, and I personally HATE not having gears to shift, and I HATE the fact that the thing does not roll at all with that compression braking. However people who like the CVT transmissions love the KFX700, and my guess is that with the compression braking you might never have to replace the brakes. They also have shaft drive for low maintenance.

Really the two machines can't even be compared in the conventional sense, they are so different. After all one of them is a Suzuki and one is a Kawasaki, so they are more different than they are the same right off the bat.
Z 400 w/ pipe and jett kit , faster than a 700 w/pipes,spring , and re jetted. I call Bull $h1+

Old 08-31-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX400 or 700?

Originally posted by: 2stroke4ever
While we're on this, I'd like to add that I'm disappointed in Kawasaki for making the V-Force. That's a great engine that got in there from the Prairie. I just don't see why they didn't make something that was more comparable to the Raptor with that engine for those who don't want a Raptor but want something similiar. I think the public would receive it better and it would sell more. Makes you wonder what these high-priced execs and product developers are thinking when the come out with such odd designs.

Had they brought in a panel of 20 average sport ATv enthusiasts, this panel would have told them to make something better than the Raptor and GREEN. Sounds logical. Oh well, what do I know.
He probly never rode a 700

Old 08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX400 or 700?

Originally posted by: ss97

U dont kno jack.Sorry,sad but true.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default KFX400 or 700?

I agree that they can't be compared directly. I wasn't looking for a direct comparision. I was just saying that for my purposes, a comparison was required because I'm deciding between the two of them and can get either for about the same price.

At this point I think I'm going to go for the 700. It sounds like it's fast enough, and low maintainence. As long as I'm not going to be struggling to keep up with my friends I will be happy. And it definitely sounds like I will be able to do that. And if they miss a shift on a trail then it's game on.

The only thing I don't like is the size but I'm sure I will get used to it and it might not be so bad once I ride one anyway.

Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
Default KFX400 or 700?

It is the right choice and as long as your freind dont have a DS you will be fine. You will still out corner a DS Have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2005, 01:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default KFX400 or 700?

ajd187 to give you an idea how people like different things I will tell you this.
When I went down to the dealer to look at different quads I sat on a 400. I felt like a clown. Then I sat on a DS. WOW, this thing feels NICE. Then I sat on a V. WOW, feels almost as good as the DS except not as soft. Now keep in mind I'm not as big as you. I'm 6' and 2 bills. But you said that the V felt big to you. Just what people like I guess.

I will tell you this. IMHO I think there is nothing better in trails and hills. People can argue this point but I love the belt drive in the hills. I have a one tract mind and with this quad I can concentrate on picking my line and looking for ruts instead of wondering on what gear I'm in.

Now I would like to tell you what I like about this quad but the list would be too long so I will tell you what I don't like about it.

Tie rods. They are like butter. I have not had any problem with mine but I will change them out when I get a chance.

Woops, OMG with the way it is shocked it will take you over the bars. This thing does not like woops!!!

Range has not been an issue for me but for some it has. I will take you about 50 to 60 miles and poof, your out of fuel.

Some people will complain of no engine braking. Most of the time I have no need for real gears. I know how to use my brakes and use them well.

All of these small problems can be fixed with aftermarket parts. Most are so small that it is not a problem at all.

My buddy jut got through building an 04 400. We will ride soon. I'm sure we will swap a few times. I'm sure I will like his quad also. He really liked mine!!!

Are you going to like a 700? I can't say. All I can say is I really like mine.

BTW, what did the dealer want for the 700?

Old 09-01-2005, 07:06 AM
Range Rover
Default KFX400 or 700?

The thing about whether a quad feels big is all in the eye of the beholder. When I hop on a V-Force it feels small compared to my prairie, but not in a bad way. I almost bought one. If it wasn't for my need of the prairie for hunting and using 4x4, cause some trails I ride on you have to have 4x4 (at times), I would have one. Actually a trail near my house is an example where my neighbors Predator just doesn't have the clearance necessary to enjoy all of it. It's close, he gets hung up on the chain guard and what not. A V-Force has that extra clearance where it would be considerably at an advantage compared to the chain driven machines. All I know is I am 6" and 220 lbs and my neighbors still cannot believe how dang fast my prairie is. I can only imagine a V-Force(or KFX700 I suppose it's called now) with the same mods as my prairie(which are very easy and cheap to do) and how fast and fun it would be to drive. I guess when I think about it, the KFX 700 would almost be the perfect quad for what I want and need if you throw out the deep mud pits and all but the steepest muddy hill climbs and hunting needs. For you ajd187, I think you will like the 700 tons!

Quick Reply: KFX400 or 700?