Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005 | 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!

Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
Hey warren,didn't recognize you the first time, hows things going, are you getting out much on the bike. I'm seriously leaning towards the Garmin etrex legend It is 190.00 at walmart here and it has everything I need for now good one to start with to see if I really want and need one
I'm pretty sure that's the one I have. My wife paid $350 for it x-mas of 03 or 02 I don't remember which. I haven't used it in a while. I know it's got an insane amount of memory compared to others I was looking at at the time. I wanted it to mark good fishing spots, but that spring I took interior out of boat to reskin and ended up leaving seats on ground right through the next winter. Needless to say the seat frames are $crewed now too.
Anyways, I love my gps. It even tells you which gas stations, resturants, etc you're near. You can download new or more detailed maps.

Old 09-19-2005 | 08:15 AM
|
Pro Rider

Hey guys, I'm getting to know this thing a lot better, it is like anything you can read directions all you want but the only way for it to sink in is to use it over and over again. Need to get that Topo Canada map for up here i think it would be sweet. I didn't get home Saturday morning until 3:30 am GPS was useful.

Old 09-19-2005 | 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

King, the cheapest place I could find that Topo map was at GPSCity in Calgary (I think I sent you the link already). There are 4 CDs in the set that cover Canada from coast to coast. Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. Click THIS. If you go to the center of the page, you can see what the map will look like on your PC and on your gps. Pretty detailed.

Old 09-19-2005 | 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
Hey warren,didn't recognize you the first time, hows things going, are you getting out much on the bike. I'm seriously leaning towards the Garmin etrex legend It is 190.00 at walmart here and it has everything I need for now good one to start with to see if I really want and need one
I'm pretty sure that's the one I have. My wife paid $350 for it x-mas of 03 or 02 I don't remember which. I haven't used it in a while. I know it's got an insane amount of memory compared to others I was looking at at the time. I wanted it to mark good fishing spots, but that spring I took interior out of boat to reskin and ended up leaving seats on ground right through the next winter. Needless to say the seat frames are $crewed now too.
Anyways, I love my gps. It even tells you which gas stations, resturants, etc you're near. You can download new or more detailed maps.
It's the vista I got not the legend. It's awesome but goes through the alkaline batteries. Go with lithium or power cord.

Old 09-20-2005 | 08:02 AM
|
Pro Rider

yes I purchased the 12v adaptor ,great for when riding

Old 09-20-2005 | 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

The adapter is a must for long rides.

Old 09-20-2005 | 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

Sparky, how long are the batteries lasting? You should get about 20 hours of use out of a set of alkalines.

Old 09-20-2005 | 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Depends on what your running. Uses a lot more when you have waas enabled. It uses ground towers too to more acurately define your location. I went to N. Conway from Manchester and back. About 4 hr round trip and my low battery indicator was on. It was at night too so I had the backlight on. It could be mine has more software from factory running. A co-worker was looking at it, and said that mine has stuff on there that his didn't come with and he has the exact same one. My wife got mine a few years ago, and he got his last year so maybe they didn't load as much software on his to cut the cost. I forget exactly how much additional memory it has, but you can add maps to it.

Old 09-26-2005 | 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the Garmin Rino 130 which I like very much. Its alittle spendy at $350 but its a Radio/GPS/ Weather Radio/Compass/Altimeter/Ect. You may think its alot to learn but to have something that can save your butt is worth it. If you are riding with some one who also has one, It sends your position to them and they know where you are, Plus you can talk to them. Anyway thats my toy and I,m sticking to it. Check it out. And its water proof

Old 09-26-2005 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Just my opinion on the WASS for gps.....the mfr talks it up like it's going to be of some help to you, but when you are anywhere but the top of a mountain or out in the ocean, it doesn't work. They tell you so in the owner's manual. I would just as soon not by hyped like that....uses lots of battery power too.

I have never been able to use WASS and just leave it turned off now that I know it is not of any value out in the woods.

Quick Reply: GPS PURCHASE HELP PLEASE!!!!