Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Help - Mojave or Blaster? I leave for a ride in 7 days!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Mojave or Blaster? I leave for a ride in 7 days!

My Honda 250X was stolen last week off my trailer in New Mexico. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] So now after 5 years of Honda reliability I am shopping.

Today I found a 2003 Mojave in a dealer show room, brand new. The sticker price is $3950. They pretty quickly offered to lower the price to $3800, which they claimed was their cost. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Since grade school I have always liked the Mojave, I am not sure exactly why. I have not ridden one, but the small size would fit on the trailer easy and do well in tight woods trails I like. I ride trails and dirt roads, no sand so far, and no mud.

I also always liked Blasters. It looks like the brakes got fixed in 03, so that is a good year to start with. The Blaster is probably less expensive and more available. There are tons of performance parts (but I never modified my Honda). Ebay has tons of listings for parts. I thought I would prefer a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, but I am not sure.

Questions:
1. What is a reasonable price range to offer the dealer for a never sold, never titled 2003 Mojave? Will there be any warranty?
2. What is a price range for a 2003 Blaster, good condition, not modified?
3. Is one bike more reliable than the other?
4. Are both bikes about the same size? I am 6', but I like to sit "on" a bike not "in" it.
5. Which bike would be more fun? The Blaster looks great with 6 speeds and an easily modded two stroke motor, but the Kawasaki is DOHC and water cooled -- which is better?

For five more years of use, which way would you head?

Old 09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

WOW your six foot... the mojave is way more reliable may not be as fun... but it wont have as much down time and if u ride in the woods alot its 4stroke my friends has one its an excellnet woods bike.. but since ur six foot... have u ever thought of looking at a raptor 350 or a z400 or kfx400

Old 09-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Was my Honda a lot bigger than a Mojave? I will go sit on both (Blaster and Mojave) tomorrow, to get a better feel. I would like to stay out of the 400 class bikes, as I have friends and cousins that will want to "try" it. Staying small (and kick start only) keeps them from getting in too much trouble.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

well the mojave will be more comfertable for you and it should handle much better then the trails then the blaster and the mojave would also be a little more reliable but i think you could get a bit of a better price then that

the blaster will be slightly faster in a drag but imo it has stiff suspension, a hard seet and it feels sortof cramped to ride it plus blasters arent really a good quality from what ive seen but id go with the mojave its more like your 250x...........

Old 09-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

I agree from what i have heard and from personal experience to blasters reliablity isnt good at all

Old 09-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

id go for the mojave...you cant beat it for that price and if you take care of it, it will last forever like the honda...its a pretty quick 250 and overall power...also the suspension is great too...its also a lot bigger than the blaster...im 6 foot and i fit great on my lakota and its pretty much the samething...overall you cant beat that price that the dealer will be selling you for a brand new 2003 mojave...yes you can find blaster for cheap but thats cuz there made cheap and not ment to last...wouldnt recommend one to any one that rides in the woods and stuff cuz of that 2 stroke motor...theres alot of parts for the mojave too if you ever feel like modding it...get the mojave youll love it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

go with the mojave we have a pair of them and the kids ride the crap out of them very very reliable and they are liquid cooled too we put a white brothes e series on it and it will beat a 300ex in the drags at the dunes and will beat a stock blaster there too these are good quads and light as well good luck

Old 09-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

oh yea forgot i think your dealer is a bit high i got ours for 3200.00 each out the door that included tax and prep and frieght

Old 10-01-2005, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer

Hey got my 2003 mojave in march of this year and paid 3199. It is an awesome bike. I but a DG Exhaust, moose jet kit, and a K&N on it and it is a scream'n machine. I can beat blasters and 300ex's in drags. It also holds up to others in my A class in rodeos, which is every 4 stroke up to 399cc. I think you'll like the mojave over the blaster. With the mods I can pull the wheels in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Good luck and have fun. If you get it let me know what you think after your ride.

Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to everyone who posted, I read every one a looked at the forums a bunch. I ended up buying a 02 Lakota. I took it out last weekend and had a blast. No, it does not go like a Mojave. But it did fine on the tight trails and big rocks in CO. By the third day I was pretty good on the auto clutch, but I still grabbed a handful of rear brake a number of times.

In a few years the kids will be a little bigger. Then I can give them the Lakota and shop for a Mojave or an '05 400EX (with reverse!). By then I will be closing in on 40, and kick starting sounds like a problem.

Quick Reply: Help - Mojave or Blaster? I leave for a ride in 7 days!