Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

DYNA CDI smoked !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNA CDI smoked !!

I had one of the early KICK BACK CDI's and sent it in for replacement. After I finally got the new one back from DYNA I must say it worked great. I had pretty much forgot about the trouble I had with it before and was fully confident that like so many times before I could turn the key and hit the button and the Prairie 700 would come to life. As my luck would have it the CDI took a crap. The Prairie never even started, I thought it was flooded until I saw smoke from under the seat. I put the factory CDI back in and it started. Scott at DYNA said just send it back for a new one witch is great but I hope that the next one will last as it should. How has things been going for the rest of you DYNA owners?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

What I did in your same situation was get a refund from Dynatek (after their CDI spoiled my vacation for me) and get on VDI's list for one of their igniters, due out in November. This trading CDI's back and forth with Dynatek until you get a good one is unacceptable.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

your right kawiyowee, you shouldnt have to do a trail and error to get a good one when your purchasing a new item. I had to send back my first one due to it missing and sputtering all the time but the replacement they sent me has been flawless. Its been submerged several times, hot, and very cold without missing a beat. I am now happy with the purchase but there was a time I was POed.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Well seeing as VDI has been promissing thier CDI unit since April and have pushed it back AGAIN, good luck on that one.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I can be counted among the lucky ones who received one of the "good" units. Mine
has been trouble-free and overall I am pleased with my Dyna unit.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Range Rover

It might just be me but I wouldn't be to quick to jump in on the VDI band wagon until after it's been out for a while. The way I see it the P700 is a high performance engine already and there is only so much advance it can take. As far as I'm concerned the only advantage to getting the VDI might be a reliability issue.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: archangel
I guess I can be counted among the lucky ones who received one of the "good" units. Mine
has been trouble-free and overall I am pleased with my Dyna unit.
i have been running the dyna cdi for about a year now and no problem here but i have heard alot of bad things about them.for once maybe i got lucky

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-13-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

hitman 70.....The timing on the Prairies and BF's is retarded intentionally about 6 degrees to keep inexperienced riders from wheeling or running into something on take-off. Yes, the v-twin is a good performing engine, but I don't want my bikes underperforming because of some lawyer for Kawasaki trying to protect the company from lawsuits. BTW, Kawi isn't the only company that intentionally retards the timing on their bikes from what I hear.

The cdi bandwagon that I have jumped on has a switch on it to return to the retarded oem timing curve for kids, etc. It is also convertible to EFI. It comes with two timing curves, one oem and the other for 87 octane fuel. It can also be programmed for 91 octane which makes a considerable difference from 87 octane according to VDI. I also think it will be reliable, as many times as they have pushed back the production date.

Old 10-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

So you do not feel VDI's basic design has flaws that have caused these extended delays? It seems to me they keep extending the release by two months at a time due to the box failing test in real world environment. The basic problems that Dyna faced is related to noise and spikes in the Kawasaki system, they are having a problem filtering it out. I believe that VDI is learning the hard way of these issues and cannot get a handle on it.

I would not bet all my marbles on VDI, as I was shopping last February and decided to get the Dyna, I am very glad I did because I had a great summer of riding with the extended perfomance as oppossed to sitting around waiting for something that may or may not come.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

I got a buddy that is a beta tester for VDI. All he has to say about it is that it is well worth the wait. He won't give me any details as he is loyal to Lyle and the boys at VDI about his findings, but has said that it is awesome compared to the Dyna. Just my .02 but I would wait for a month or 2 and get a VDI. I had a chance to be a beta tester but just started a new job that takes me out of town so wouldn't be able to give an honest testing of the unit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. My loss. Now I have to wait till they come out and fork out the money to get one!!

Quick Reply: DYNA CDI smoked !!