Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Brute Water Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute Water Problem?

I am getting ready to take the plunge and purchase a Big Bore in the next few months. I am looking at the Brute Force 750 as my number 1 option. I have been reading these forums for months now and I have noticed a few problems that people have had with the Brute. The tie-rods and ends are not a problem, they are an easy fix. I will eventually do the mods that will strengthen the handling such as shocks, wheels, etc, but I wanted to ask about the water problems with the Brute. I have noticed a few posts that have been left by people experiencing problems with the Brute when out playing in the water with the carbs, etc. Is it a design flaw, or the better question, is it a fixable design flaw? I will be doing quite a bit of creek riding and I dont want to second guess what I can put the machine through. I dont want to be left stranded with a mcahine that wont start. Please let me know your thoughts, comments. Thanks,
Cole

Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy a snorke kit or make so inner fenders

Old 10-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with Hughjazz. The airbox design on the Brute is the only major flaw. For your type of riding I would recommend snorkels like the ones @ www.bayousnorkels.com

Old 10-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

Well, I would like to stay away from the snorkel kit if I could. When I say high water, will water up to the bottom of the seat give me problems? Is the airbox different between the 05 and 06 models? Can you modify the airbox? I gues my question really is what can you do other than a snorkel kit. Thank you for the help.

Old 10-12-2005, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

i rode with a freind he has a bf and we were in mud right above the floor boards
his bike took on a ton of water had to change the oil 4 times to get the water out
it is a nice bike bike but i wouldnt touch it if your going neer water

Old 10-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

It has been my experience with the Brute that water is a problem for the airbox. The lack of
adequate splash protection (that little black piece of rubber at the front of the box doesn't cut it)
hinders my ability to play in the water and soupy mud...even at shallow depths. Some will swear
otherwise, and lay claim to countless hours of playing in water with no problems. I too do not like
the idea of running a snorkel, so I have abstained from that so far and instead chosen to "rig up"
different types of splash protection. I'm still toying around with different ideas right now when time
allows. Another thing to watch for regarding the carbs and water deals with the rubber boots on
the carbs. There have been numerous people (of whom I am one) who have experienced cuts or
tears on those boots which allow water to enter if the conditions are right. And also water/moisture
related is the electrical system... The wiring harness has a couple of "soft spots" that can lead to
water entering and corroding the electricals. One of these is on the rear of the quad by the gas
tank. Grease everything with a good quality die-electric grease to keep out as much moisture as
possible.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is my first reply i have done so far, and i know i can help with this. I have around 1,600 miles on my 05 750 brute and most of the miles are mud and water miles. The air box intake should have been designed better, that i can agree with. The only time i get water in my air box is if i am getting a head start and splashing through water. We are always in the water and the only bike that seems to have a problem with deep water out of the 2 750 brutes, a rincon, kingquad, and a vinson is the king quad. The belt breather is right by the back rack so when you dip the back end down in the water exiting a creek or something the belt housing fills up. I had my brute hung up in a flooded area beavers had made and my front left headlight, front left fender, and the back left fender were underwater. The right side was almost as deep as the left and i had no problems at all. No water in the oil, no misfire, and no water in the belt housing. I myself did experience the same problem that archangel had with the carb boots ripping though. I bought a penlend pipe and had the dealer do the jetting for me. Everytime i was in water it would cut out and misfire so i had thought it was just running too rich. They leaned it out a couple times and then they found a different brute had problems with the carb boots ripping under the clamp. After that was fixed, i havent had a problem since. Overall if you arent splashing through the water and just riding, i think it is one of the most capable bikes for deep water. It sits high and the breathers are all up high by the gas tank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2005, 09:54 PM
Range Rover

I have 1000 miles on my BF and will just tell you my experiences over the last year. Last winter even if the snow wasn't real deep just a few inch dusting at timesit would find it's way into the airbox and other times while going plowing snow in a foot of snow I wouldn't have any problems. At haspin a few months back I did manage to get water in the airbox while making it through a hole nasty enough I had to jump off of it so it wouldn't tip over to the right but in the process did manage to suck in a little bit of water enough to hear sputter a little I made it through the hole and looked at the airbox and it had gotten a little bit into the bottom of the box so I cleaned it out as best I could and rode on and it has been fine since. This weekend however I decided to do some testing once again so I went down a creek crossing I usually only take the Eiger down and it's up over the headlights on the Eiger and was up to the bottom of the headlights on the BF750 I went slow and went through it and checked the box and it was dry. Went back through it 2 more times and didn't have any problems. So my personal thoughts is the problem does exist certainly but doesn't always seem to surface while I'm happy that sunday I was able to go through water probably 6 inches over the tires without a problem I'm still not very confident in water with it like I am my Eiger. My eiger I have had up to the racks and can drive as fast as I want and the bottom of the exhaust hardly even gets wet which still leaves like 6 inches before it would even get to factory snorkel anyway.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

i have had my brute up the tops of the fenders, higher than the bottom of the seat and i've had a few instances of following a few riders in and having the wave from them come over the front fenders and nothing. my airbox has been dry as a bone since i bought it, now i have almost 700 miles on it. now i'm not saying that you guys havnt had the problems youve stated cause my friend has one and has had the same problems you guys have had. the only difference between him and i is that he rides like a complete mad man and severly beats his machines. not that i dont ride hard but i will cautious sometimes. i have floated through a water/mudhole in 2wd and just feathering the throttle to keep the nose up, i dont head into deep water at 30mph or jump into it causing a huge splash. i ride the trails hard and hit some water fast just not deep water. the best way to make it through some deep mud is momentum and being steady not crazy and for really deep water slow and steady is the best. no matter what bike you have some water is just too deep and water can get in any intake. not trying offend but just stating what has worked for me.

Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

go to nyrocs tech tips and you'll learn all you need to know about the brute. I have a splashguard that I made on mine and havnt had a problem. its not the water thats the problem with them. Its steam, when you hit water fast and it splashes on your pipe it steams up and steam goes in your intake. the guard I made fixes this problem. http://atv.dnsalias.com/techtip.cgi

Quick Reply: Brute Water Problem?