Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

86 Bayou carb problem need some ideas. :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Bayou carb problem need some ideas. :)

Hi all. If I may could I ask your knowledge on this.. I am having a few problems with my atv.

THe carb is a Kei-Hin has the letters CVT at the top.

I have an 86 Kaw Bayou 300 ATV. 2 wheel drive with a diff lock in... The history of this is I got it in 97. Got the carb redone in 98 or so the floats were bad. It was flooding out. I don’t remember if the carb was redone totally or not. I think it was thou. Anyways. It sat from 98 to 2002 with the carb drained and with gas in the tank, the gas went bad. Drained the gas tank and bathed in in muratic acid and put a liner in the tank. IT has sat dry since then.

Tonight I just finished installing a fuel petcock rebuild kit. And fired up the Kaw. It took a few tries and a squirt of ether ( I hate using that stuff) But she fired up.

The problem I am having is the ATV will run when 100% choked, 60% minimum it will die. When I turn the choke off it dies. When I hit the throttle when it’s choked it sputters and dies after. I got a full rev out of it once or twice. It will only run when it is choked.

I am a total noob when it comes to carbs. On the back of the carb there is a slide. When I hit the throttle it goes up and down really fast and just dies. The timing between the slide and the sputtering the two match up. I.e. when it sputters the slide is going up and down really fast.

I put some Sea foam thru it and let it run about 10 minutes and still nothing.

What should I do? Do I need to rebuild it? Or take the carb off and douce it with carb cleaner? I get really nervous taking that stuff apart. I did make a printout of how to clean the carbs but am nervous about tearing into this stuff.

I have a feeling it is the pilot jet, it may need cleaning? What should I do?

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Sounds like the jets are plugged.
The classic symptom of a plugged pilot jet (idle jet), is that the motor will die when the choke goes off. These carbs use a enrichener jet instead of a choke plate. The motor will run on the enrichener jet (choke on), but when you pull the choke circuit off, the pilot jet which is plugged wont let it run. When you pulll out the pilot jet, look down the center of it, like looking down a straw. You should be able to see thru it, but the hole is very tiny and plugs easily. you may have to run a small wire thru it, to clean it out. If you cant get it clean, just toss it and get another one, they are about 5 bucks.
As long as youre working on the carb, you might want to add an inline fuel filter too. This will help to keep it clean. You did the right thing by leaving the float bowl empty and the tank off, while in storage.

Old 10-22-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Hondabuster.

Dude thank you! You are a god! I took the entire carb apart and cleaned it totally. It was really clean anyways. Everything looked great. I put it back on and tried it out. Did the same thing. Then realised I didnt clean the pilot jet. The only screw I didnt take out. Duh. Took it apart again. Cleaned the little guy. Put it back on and fired it up on 100% choke. It ran. then took the choke off, played with the idle. And it runs without dying. WOOOO HOO...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Now the only thing that is funky. If I put the choke to 100% on it starts fine, warms up and if I put it back to run position it dosent want to run but if the choke is about 50% on between the run and 100% choke position it runs like a top.

Is there some kind of adjustment for the choke? There is no screw adjuster by the choke on the handlebars.

Also when I had the carb off I looked into the motor from the backside and could see the valve. It looks pretty clean inside but on the top of the valve there is a bunch of gook. It that normal?

I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff. I learn by hands on. The carb was pretty easy.

Thanks again man! I should post a pic of my Kawi..

Old 10-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Get those pics up there.

Good to hear the pilot jet cleaning fixed it.

Theres a mixture screw, which only controls the mixture at idle, and it sounds too lean. Try going 1/4 turn out, and go another 1/4 turn if it needs it. I think the original setting is about 1 3/4 turns out from lightly seated, but you just want it where ever it performs the best.

Heres a good article on jeting and symptoms of lean and rich. It describes setting the mixture screw, and what to whtch for.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/jetkit/

Welcome to the forums