Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

whats the best pulling atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best pulling atv

I am looking into buying an atv i have narrowed my search to honda rubicon,sportsman 800,kawasaki 6/750 and suzuki 700
when i get one i will be plowing snow and cultavating the garden and going on the road to a cattle market 50 miles away
so i need ok fuel effiency which atv would handle these jobs

Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Pro Rider

while the Honda will ride down the road nice, I'd stsy away from that one for the cultivating & plowing ( no low range )... the other 3 or 4 should do pretty much what you are looking for, the Honda & KQ, will have a more anoying engine viberation at road speeds than the twin cylinder quads just ride them & see what best suites you...

my personal preference for the cultivating ( & other pulling ) would be a non IRS 650 or 700 brute / Prairie, but the IRS will ride smoother, & plow just as well...

Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jd, really all of these machines would do what you need just fine. I would have to disagree with newbeatle about the Rubicon, my cousin has one and uses it as a work horse, and it has never let him down. I say go with whatever you can get the best deal on unless you have a preferance to a certain brand.

BTW, I'd say the EFI machines would get the best fuel economy.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, If you using it for allot of hard work, i would go with the rubicon. They are really good workers and will pull a house. But if you do get a kawasaki, you will have to use low gear when pulling or doing any which isnt a big deal at all.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

i think alot of the pulling comes down to what type of terrain you are on and what type of tire you have mounted...

I have the '05 Polaris 700 EFI and I've pulled alot of stuff around, even hooked up my 6'6"x16' trailer around with it....alot of tongue weight....

i think out of the machines you listed, most will do what you want...don't forget about the Outlander 800 EFI....according to their website, it outpulls everything, not that I really agree with their way of testing...my only problem with it is that its a first year machine....thats why I bought a '05 700 EFI, second year machine....

depending on what you want to pull, if its not overboard, you can also look at some of the smaller machines, I wouldn't go under the 450-500 class machines, but some may do what you need....but the bigger machines have more payload and pulling specifications

Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

For yanking stuff around all day I would go with the 800 polaris. It has a really, really low range, good brakes and a real solid frame. When it comes to towing, vehicle weight is a good thing and nothing is heavier than the Polaris 800.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

First of all, I would look at prices. Then if you are going to do alot of pulling I would work out a deal with a dealer and get some good tires on the wheeler, like trade the stock tires in. I have ITP Mud Lights on my P700 and I can pull around haywagon with 150-200 bales on it with no problem, and that is up some hills and so forth. Then look at the hitch, all the atv's with Independent Suspension with loose ground clearance when a load it put on the hitch compared to the ATV's with the solid rear axle. One thing I have seen is that the hitches are or atleast don't look as strong on the independent suspension compared to the fixed rears, but thats my opinion. I had a 2001 honda rubicon and loved it, transmission was the best i have ever rode, smooth, and you can choose weather you want auto or shift. All you have to do is rock a leaver and you can go from auto to shift for pullin heavy items, plus if you need to up shift you dont have to let off the throttle. Also for service wise, the transmission and engine oil are the same, so you know the transmission has the fluids in it all the time. The only reason I went with the 04 prairie 700 is that I paid $6400.00 for it, and I got a 700cc machine. Now from what I have seen is you get the most bang for your buck if you go with the kawi. I could not see paying what like $8000.00 something for the polaris 700cc or 800cc, $6200.00 for the rubicon 500cc, and the suzuki was not out at the time I bought. But for gas wise, I think that they will all get around 60miles to a tank? Thats what i have seen with my buddies and I riding on trips. So what I thank is Honda is the best atv out there, but if your looking to get a bang for your buck go with kawi. You can always go to a different dealer if you dont like service. REMEMBER SALE IS SALES AND SERVICE IS SERVICE, AND FACTORY WARRANTIES ARE COVERED AT DEALERS, so if you can get a good deal some where go for it, then when you need work done thats when you look for the dealer with the better service.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Farmboy,

"I have ITP Mud Lights on my P700 and I can pull around haywagon with 150-200 bales on it with no problem, and that is up some hills and so forth."

Let's get serious, a small bale of hay is around 50 pounds and a three wire bale is about 110 pounds. So you pull trailers with anywhere from 7,500 to 22,000 thousand pounds on them up hills?. I could have saved $40,000 dollars on my Ford diesel if had known my quad could do that. I would love to see your 600 pound quad stop a 2,000 pound trailer loaded with 22,000 pounds of hay on it. You'll end up as a hood ornament if your not careful. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

Polaris MV7

Old 10-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

curlly

You can come over any day during july and august and you can watch with your own eyes. I can pull a loaded steel 18ft. hay wagon, with a 1065 john deere running gear up to our hay mow. Bales are around 40-50lbs 2 string twine. I am not taking the wagons down the road but I would say I am taking them 200 yards or more around the farm, and I would say I got to pull it up a 4-5ft grade. I am running 28in ITP MUD LIGHTS on stock wheels. But again if your in the upstate NY area give me a drop and I will invite you over to watch me pull the wagon. I would bet my wheeler on it.

Quick Reply: whats the best pulling atv