Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Low range for speeds under 20? (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low range for speeds under 20? (new Member)

Hello everyone!

I just got my first ATV. A Kawi Brute Force 650!!! After throwing tons of money away in rentals, I decided it was time to get my own!!! I am going riding for the first time tomorrow, and my buddy is telling me that I need to keep my Trans in Low as long as I am going under 20 MPH. It seems like a pain to have to be going in and out of Low and Hi all the time. Any Help would be appreciated.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low range for speeds under 20? (New Member)

Your buddy is a smart man. The best way to keep the belt good and tight is using low gear if you just cruising really slow, climbing, pulling, mudding, etc. Low gear just keeps you from having the hassel of more adjustment or changing out a belt if it slips. have a good one>.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

I use low for steep hills and pulling but I ride in high if I'm just trail riding, even if I'm going real slow. It is not fun riding the thing in low range [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] it whines like crazy from being would out, would you rather wear out your belt or your engine?

Old 11-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

dont listen to that last post of him trial riding in high...thats just wrong!! leave it in low..just use high when on the pavement airing it out..u will avoid future problems

Old 11-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

don't listen to him telling you not to listen to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tend to agree with Pro Rider. I'm ridng a Brute 750 and low gear is too slow and seems to puts a lot of wear on the engine and engine breaking. I have seen several posts about using low gear, but I couldn't find anything in the manual about using low gear to keep the belt tight, has anyone seen anything. I am usually riding between 15 to 30 mph on trails so I have no choice but to use high gear. It is a major pain to stop to shift gears. How difficult is it to tighten the belt anyway? Just my thoughts. What does Kawasaki say about using low gear?

Old 11-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dude I was out at 5 mile pass this morning on my new BF 650. What a machine! I took some advise from the forum and chose to break the machine in hard. Check out this website http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm you decide how you want to break in your machine. I put the hammer down and the kawi really responded. my buddy rides a wr450, he commented "Ive never seen a atv go up that hill!" He's been riding that place since he was a kid. Be Carefull! I was wheeling on a head wall in high 4. the only thing kept me alive was easing off the throttle and that big green beast torqed its way up to the top in high. When the time comes I'll get a new belt. Till then Low gear is for pushin snow. This machine is so ballsy that I dont even regret puttin that thousand back in my pocket over the 750. Stay away from headwalls though she aint no motorcycle. Have fun along the Wasatch front.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

schof....the way I ride is, if the trail lets you average over 20, then use hi.....if average is less than 20, use lo.

chaaaly....what's a headwall?

Old 11-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats exactally how i ride. IF i am in high gear and come across a small hill for such i punch it so that the clutch is good and engaged.

Old 11-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

A headwall is when the slope of a hill temporarily takes a near vertical orientation, usually towards the top. Motorcycles seem to handle this situation much better due to less weight to horsepower ratios.

Quick Reply: Low range for speeds under 20? (New Member)