Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Low range for speeds under 20? (New Member)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low range for speeds under 20? (New Member)

Well, I had the best time ever on my new BF 650 WOW!!! My buddy on his Honda 500 was mad because I kept passing him! Sorry Jeff, I can't resist the POWER!

The BF 650 has incredible traction. We were up American Fork Canyon in the Uinta Mountains in tons of snow and I did not fish tail at all. My dad was ridding his new Polaris 500 and he was slidding all over. I wonder of the independent suspension on the Polaris was the reason.

The only thing I did not like about my Kawi was the loud whining sound. I could hardly hear the purr of the V-Twin. The engine breaking was loud too. I wonder if this is normal, or something is wrong with my BF 650.

Any Thoughts?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

they whine like a jet airplane lol

Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man I love that whine. These BF650's are the bomb, I just put the moose module in it and WOW what a difference. I can wheelie without even pulling now.

Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Trailblazer

I gotta go with Kawiyowee and Alwaysride - When I start to consistently hit speeds just over 16 or 17 mph on the trail, that's all I can take before I have to stop and put her in high gear. The belt only really undergoes alot more stress when you are constantly climbing hills and pulling stuff in hi gear.

Yeah, these things whine like pigs, but after awhile it grows on you. The solid rear axle rocks, too.

I just put a Moose Module into mine as well and now she's punchier than ever.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Schof
My buddy on his Honda 500 was mad because I kept passing him! Sorry Jeff, I can't resist the POWER!
Don't worry, I'll keep the tow strap in my Honda's cargo box. We'll probably need it to get your cow, I mean Kaw home someday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: UtahJeff
My buddy on his Honda 500 was mad because I kept passing him! Sorry Jeff, I can't resist the POWER!
Don't worry, I'll keep the tow strap in my Honda's cargo box. We'll probably need it to get your cow, I mean Kaw home someday. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am loving this!!! Just this afternoon Jeff did pull out his tow strap, but not for me! Lets just say that my cow (oh, I mean KAWASAKI) helped Jeffs Forman 500 with its ability on a snowy hill. A lesson learned that you need to be carefull about what you post.

In all fairness, Jeff's Forman 500 did awesome in the snow for a 2WD. I was amazed how far we got. We almost made it to the back of Alta and Snowbird Ski resorts. UTAH ROCKS!!!

Old 11-20-2005, 05:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am loving this!!! Just this afternoon Jeff did pull out his tow strap, but not for me! Lets just say that my cow (oh, I mean KAWASAKI) helped Jeffs Forman 500 with its ability on a snowy hill. A lesson learned that you need to be carefull about what you post.

In all fairness, Jeff's Forman 500 did awesome in the snow for a 2WD. I was amazed how far we got. We almost made it to the back of Alta and Snowbird Ski resorts. UTAH ROCKS!!!

--"It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong. I am not a big man."--Fletch

Old 11-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Excessive low range is unessesary after the 04 model year, my first 02' P650 clutch and belt were nothing compared to the new set-up, the added kevlar and belt angle, makes belt wear much improved, also the new sheaves on the primary and secondary have a different angle on them also along with different springs, updated spider, internals and such...........all this adds up to Kaw belt/clutch problems being a thing of the past, you will still have some that have problems but not like 3 years ago......I checked my defection on my 750 at about 1120 miles, it was right on the top of spec about 27-28mm, this was the first adjustment, I ride hard and have 26" Mudlite XTR's on type 7 rims, along with a Dyna and EPI maroon primary spring, there was NO grooves whatsoever on the sheaves, and the belt looked like a new one.......So, I have owned a 02 P650, 04' p700, and now a 05 BF750 and have learned alot about the cvt system on these, the new ones we have now are 100% better and durable than when they first came out, I use low for extreme slow speed 10mph and under, or pulling a load or extreme hillclimbs or downhills....I run high everywhere else,,,, it comes up to about 80% high vs. 20% low....just use common sense and keep the belt in proper deflection and you will be fine........

Old 11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree with STAKK, I also had a o2 650 V and as a heavy weight @ 280 I had good luck with my belt on my Kawi , I did spring my clucth and had the module by HL and I hardly ever used low , only to pull, or crawl.I wish I kept mine.